BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Nags Head next week any good reports for Oregon Inlet for surffishing? or pier? I would like to catch some cobia off of pier or King Mackeral. Other than that will be on the beach. I will be bringing pretty much everything for the the beach.
thanks,

edg

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddies down south are slamming rock fish and blues. You should check out the Mann's Harbor Bridge, which is on the other side of Manteo. All the inshore guides work the spot daily with success. Don't count on the Jeanette Pier, it's gone. I was down two weeks ago and to my surprise it washed away in one of their many storms.Good Luck.
Tar Heel Sportfishing
Barnegat, NJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fishing should be great. Kings are biting off the southern NC piers, but cobia are all but gone (May-June is prime cobia time). On the northern beaches where you will be, fish for big red drum when the wind is blowing hard N. Otherwise, puppy drum, blues, and a good variety of small stuff. When the water is reasonably calm, there has been a great speckled trout bite. Fish pre-sunrise with soft plastics on light tackle, work the slough between the outer bar and beach and any other good soft structure. Fish same areas at night with a black or purple mirrolure. Should be plenty of school stripers around Oregon Inlet at night. Mann's Harbor bridge is worth a shot too. The soundside keeper season opens Oct. 15. Otherwise, if you want to keep fish, stay on the ocean side of the Oregon Inlet bridge where the season is open year-round, 2 @ 28" or above. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the piers, Outer Banks Pier in South Nag's Head (closest to Oregon Inlet) has been rebuilt. Jenettes is very short, but I thought it was open. They are going to rebuild in concrete I think. Nag's Head Pier exists. Avalon Pier (Kill Devil Hills) was the only pier north of OI to not be damaged at all last year. Kitty Hawk Pier was badly damaged and is now (or soon to be) gone, sadly, to be turned into some highrise hotel that will fall into the ocean in a couple years. The beach north of here is super for speckled trout by the way -- if you can find a place to park.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ive been reading reports from the avalon pier and lately it looks to be a really hot spot bite. People are supposedly filling coolers etc.. also pampono and peckled trout, a few flounder, kings. Try casting off the end of a pier with a spot head. You may get a big red drum. Theyve been getting the drum pretty consistantly now, and heres a great website with daily reports! http://www.avalonpier.com/reports/calendar/calendar.pl

[ 10-08-2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: bucktail3 ]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! what goes around comes around thanks for all the info about the piers everyone. It is great that this site exists because there are so many good people willing to share information about fishing up and down the coast. I have been looking at some fishing reports and it all looks good.

Thanks once again.

edg

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll be in Nag's Head as well from the 17th-23rd with the boat. Usually do well on the inside, south end of the Oregon inlet bridge w/ drum and flounder. Fresh tuna chunks always work best for me. Otherwise, squid strips.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts