BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Naples in 2 weeks and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts . I have never fished down that way and was looking any suggestions. I would love to get out but wanted to make sure it is worth it. Many Thanks!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
The west coast of Florida is nothing short of spectacular..... what kind of fishing do you like to do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm open for anything, fishing in Feb is good no matter what. Any idea what they are catching this time of year? Any boat suggestions?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Tons of sheepshead, speckled trout, some reds. Snook are way in the back. Just talked to a friend who is down in that area now.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
If you go to Sanibel, you can fish from the road in the Ding Darling Preseerve. Light tackle for all sorts of backwater reds, snook.....

There is a tackle shop called the Bait Box on Perriwinkle...they can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Don't forget you need to purchase a FLA Saltwater license:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I fished Naples area for 8 straight years up until last year and I had very good fishing except 2009 when there was a hard freeze
Here are 2 excellent charter captains
REEL 1 UP www.reel1up.com
Capt Mark Garcy 239 537-5532
Various opportunities depending on what you want from inshore to well off shore

Fishing Advantures Inc www.naplesfloridafishing.com
Capt Pat Gould 800-890-2312
This guy is one of best light tackle guys

Naples Pier can be very productive at times but you sometimes have to put up with crowd
Up in Bonita Springs ....Lovers Key is a great area to fish from shore,there is a ramp with a tackle shop where you can get excellent info and fresh bait

Bridge leading into Marco or Goodland also was good from shore and produces some excellent trout

If you want to travel little south Everglades City is VERY GOOD area and numerous good charter capts down there who will put you on Snook ,redfish,trout big whiting and more
. Just do a google and you will find numerous charter capts and almost all are excellent in that area
good luck

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I just returned from a 6 day trip to Marco Island. Marco is just 20 minutes or so south of Naples, so easily accessible. I caught 7 different species of fish all from land, including: speckled trout, redfish, snook, ladyfish, sheepshead, jack crevalle, and mangrove snapper.

First advice is to really utilize Google Earth to scope out your fishing spots. Around Marco, you can fish around the bases of the Jolley bridge (which is the bridge that heads to Naples) or the Goodland bridge. If you want to fish the surf, the south end is very fishy, particularly at low tide when you can walk around the point and fish Caxambas Pass. Tigertail Beach on the north end is nothing short of spectacular as it relates to options. The "lagoon" on the inside is amazing. The water is about 4' - 5' deep at its deepest points, yet it holds some tremendous fishing. Right now sheepshead, reds, and the occasional snook and trout all can be caught in the lagoon. If you cross the lagoon (very easy in some spots only knee deep), you will access an amazing stretch of Gulf coast shoreline. Walk north about a mile, with very fishy water all along the stretch. There is an awesome breach that has formed just in the last year (blow-out tides last July), that has formed a nice cut that flows into the lagoon. If I had more time I would have really worked that stretch on either turn.

Good luck. By the way I caught several trout with a simple twisty tail on 1/4 oz. jig. The sheepies and reds were caught on shrimp on the bottom or behind a popping cork.

Here are a few pics to enjoy:

My son, with a nice view of the Tigertail lagoon behind him:

My daughter and niece holding a sheepie and red that made the dinner table:

and a nice trout caught in the back:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Like other have stated, the fishing is great with many species to be had. I was in Captiva a few years ago and caught many species right from a dock on frozen shrimp (black drum, sheepshead, red drum, sail cats, just to name a few.) Try to get a hold of a cast net to live line some fresh bait for snook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts