BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my boat in north field and come out at risley channel to longport.I was wondering how hard it is to nav the intercostal waterways to a.cI have always gone south through ocean city but would like to try going north.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Its been a few years but I thought it was pretty easy. Pick up the NOAA chart for the intracoastal Waterway 12316.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's been a while since I boated that area, but the channel markers will show you the way. It is a nice ride. There might be a wait at high tide when you get to the railroad bridge behind AC.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I always fished and cruised from longport to Cape may. Last year I tried going for a ride to AC. I lost the intercoastal waterway about halfway. I came to a bridge that I could not figure how to go under. I must have taken a wrong turn somewere. I was on somebody elses boat and they did not have a chart or a chip in there gps. Its not a bad ride I here. Get a chart!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If you can tell the difference between the green squares and the red triangles and keep your boat between them you chould have no problem following the ICW anywhere.

Don't laugh there are plenty of boaters out there who can't. Never assume how wide the channel is . don't ever cut corners or swing wide. go strictly pole to pole and watch every minute. Never assume the boat in front of you knows where she is going. and if in doubt slow down!

I always here a lot of complaints about the position of the markers, but 99 times out of 100 a careful watch shows it is operator error.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand where you are coming from but some or a should say alot of the intercostal waterway markers are either gone or misleading.I tried before but aftyer going under the Margate bridge you kind of loose sight of the markers.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just stay along the back of the homes in Margate and head towards Ventnor. There is an Mud Flat island that divides the ICW and the back bay areas. As long as you stay to the right you'll be fine. There are stick markers that go to the left at that point also that take you to Lakes Bay. A pretty good flounder area. Have a chart and watch your depths for sure in there. But stay along the houses and you will come to a hard right that will take you to the center of Ventnor. You;ll have houses on both sides for a while. Then you'll come to the rt168 bridge. Well your on your way. There is a Bar with dockage at that bridge to make pit stops. Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The main problem you will encounter back behind AC and that area is the bridges. At High tide they are pretty low. My boat is not all that high and I had a few close calls. Be careful with that, other than that it is a nice ride.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Going To Move This Over To The TackleBox Forum
Also,To Get You Some More Responses..

Thx,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts