BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Ed, Sam, Alan, E-Man, and Dan join me for some jigging. I threw a pair of 50's on for some high speeding between spots, and we headed out in nice seas for the waters south of Beaufort inlet. The plan was to find some pompano and cobia hiding amongst the amberjacks. First stop about 45 miles off resulted in a boat load of people with sore backs and rubber arms. The aj's were big, mean and plentiful and hook ups were almost instant. We tried slow mechanical jigging to entice cobia and pomps, but the aj's ran blocker for them, and it turned into a nonstop trip on the "pain train".

We made a few moves to try and get away from the aj's with no luck.

Made the decision to push off deep for big triggers, so we threw out the high speed stuff and got hammered at 18 kts. We pulled the hooks on that one.

Found the triggers in 210 feet. Dropped anchor and landed right on the mess and soon enough the guys put a nice catch of 60 or so jumbo triggers in the brine tank despite setting sideways on the rode with strong current and stronger than forecast winds.

The conditions for bottom dropping got worse so we pulled anchor and worked back in and had a nice mid forties hoo eat a small green machine / bird combo on mono. He made it too the gaff and we crammed it into the brine tank for a nice finish to the day.

It was a fun day with a fun crew and everybody got a pile of fish for many tasty dinners. The weather wasn't as pretty as it was supposed to be, but the fish were chewing. We managed to not loose a single jig, although one of my high speed lures got fubar pretty bad. It will be replaced with one of Capt' Bob's HooDoos, those things are gonna kill some hoos.

Picture will be coming.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pics !

Ed with a hoo !

Sam doing battle

E-Man with a typical AJ

Dan working out

Alan with one of many

Grocery cart !!

Home at sunset

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Nice report!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Great trip and beautifull photo's thank you for shareing it with us, we've just started trying the Hi-speed wa-hoo trolling out of Cape may, we have the set-ups with the stranded cable, trolling weights and heavy lures in dark colors for the wa-hoo. We didn't try it to many times yet but hope to this season. We ran them on bent butt 50-130lb class Calstar boomer series rods and Penn 50VSW reels 80lb mono tiopshots and 130lb Spectra beneath the mono. we ran about 12-14knts when we tried it for the first time. Actually the only bite we had was about a 60lb mako which stayed tight and we released it. Just looking for any input on speeds and lures for the wahoo hi-speed trolling? thanks again for the great Post , we're hopeing to be down in NC in the next month.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
John,

Great report. We look forward to fishing with you on February 24. We will start saying our prayers to the weather gods.

Peter

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron, As far as I am concerned, when it comes to big wahoo, speed kills.
I actually make my own rigs with non offset 2 hook stiff rigs, a heavy bullet head lure backed up with a couple octopus skirts with egg sinkers in the heads. Make them heavy, and you should be able to run them in the high teens with no inline weight. Add a 48 or 64 oz. drail and you are in the 20 kt. range, which is about the slowest my boat will plane at. I use about 30 ft. of 300 mono shock leader between the lure and the weight. be sure to have cable on each side of the weight, because, the wahoo will hit them as well. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts