BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning out a trip down to Morehead City.

Generally speaking do you take 95 all the way down or do you take Route 13? I have made the trip once to the outer banks and we took Route 13.

Peter

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I go rt 13 it is way shorter Traffic moves good this time of year,i would suggest ez pass to save time at the tolls.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Take 13 it is the much better route....just remember that VA is radar detector unfriendly.... And I have never found that taking the ferry is worth the time. We take the NJ turnpike all the way south and then do the rt13 thing that way....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mhc

I go there often to visit mom and dad. In delaware take Rt 1 to dover then rt 113 to pokomoke city is the nicest ride. Take 264 through norfolk area then rt 17south to rt 70 to MHC. 10 hrs from TR area. You can save 5 -10 minutes going rt 95 but you can loose hours in that Washington beltway. My suggestion is avoid rt 95 at all costs. Catch em up.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Went to manteo 2wks ago

Be sure toget on 113 vs13' although there is a little more distance their fewer lights and is an easier to drive

Nice thing about ferry is its a nice break lewes del to manteo was just about 5 hr

Have a good and safe trip

I know ur used to traffic but dc beltway etc really sucks and traffic very heavy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Take 113 to 13 both ways... When I graduated school and moved down to Chesapeake, VA to work at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, I always drove the bridge tunnel and ferry back and forth to NJ. The ferry is great to break up the ride and you can always take a quick nap or grab a beer too. :thumbsup: You can also stop out on the observation areas for the bridge tunnel and stretch your legs. There are a few sea food places on the northern side of the Bay Bridge that sell little neck clams in bags of 50. Highly recommend.. :D

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
So do I need to lower my fuzzbuster out of visible range, or put it away entirely. After a couple million miles with one I can't imagine driving without

·
Registered
776 Posts
hey, you bringing the boat down?
if need be I can fit 6 in my truck!
Hope all else well Peter!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I visited a friends dad there on my way home from florida. I came up the coast and i remember the roads were great and there was no traffic. I will be driving to va beach next weekend and thats my route.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We are planning out a trip down to Morehead City.

Generally speaking do you take 95 all the way down or do you take Route 13? I have made the trip once to the outer banks and we took Route 13.

Peter
113 1s ten miles longer but depending on the time of day 13 should be good a lot of lights though i;; b making the trip today as well

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Peter-

I always go 13. It's just a much nicer drive and the bay bridge tunnel is cool.

Make sure you watch your speed though the small DE/MD/VA towns.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
When I used to surf it a bunch, I always took 13....

Have fun, I am commited to a Jersey giant before I go anywhere to catch one. I may never....:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lock it up and put it in trunk

So do I need to lower my fuzzbuster out of visible range, or put it away entirely. After a couple million miles with one I can't imagine driving without

They have zero tolerance for radar detectors.. I would have it off and disconnected and out of the passenger compartment just to be on the safe side.

You know how they feel about us 'Yankees'. I went to University of Va so I know first hand.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback.

We will be fishing on Feb 24 & 25. The first day we will be fishing with Captain John on the Procrastinator. We will be bottom fishing, as well as jig for blackfins and cobia (providing that they are around).

Our second day boat just fell through, so we are exploring some options in the Morehead City area. If anyone has sme personal favtories, please send them my way. Thanks again.

Peter

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I takes Route 13 - 113 - 13 when I fish Oregon Inlet/Hatteras, but I like drive Rt 95 when I fish Morehead/Sneads Ferry/Whillington, NC.
It is about 90 - 100 miles more by taking Rt95, but I try to avoid local traffic where the speed limit constantly changes from 45 miles, 50 miles to 55 miles and Maryland/ Virginia/NC are notorious for giving tickets.

Speed limit in Southern Virginia and NC is 70 miles on Rt 95.
If you avoid rush hours, the traffic around Washington, DC is not bad at all.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback.

We will be fishing on Feb 24 & 25. The first day we will be fishing with Captain John on the Procrastinator. We will be bottom fishing, as well as jig for blackfins and cobia (providing that they are around).

Our second day boat just fell through, so we are exploring some options in the Morehead City area. If anyone has sme personal favtories, please send them my way. Thanks again.

Peter
Peter, You will have so much fun on the 24 th. you will want to go out again the following day........provided your arms can handle it ! ;):D
Give me a shout sometime today, I am done washing the boat, cutting fish and am having so couch time ! :)

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
U.S. Air, PHL / ORF (Norfolk, VA), then about a one hour drive along the banks.....usually averages $250 round trip, inclusive of shipping 100# of fresh bluefin back :). Hate long drives myself, so this to me would be optimum route.....plus allows for in/out with two days of fishing over a weekend if schedule warrants.

Tight Lines,

Frank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts