BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well here goes. I sail from raritan bay and I'm looking to get a little tuna or at minimum shark action this year. I've taken many a trip to the hole but only come up with blues on the troll( smaller than roamed shoal blues)..also blue sharks while chumming...anyway I'm set pretty well gear wise and on a nice day with a full 185 gal tank my range is there. I was wondering is anyone can share tactics spreads, best temps/ times areas. Even if anyone wants to hop on this year and give me a hand I'm all for that too
Thanks in advance for the help
Ry

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Best bet...watch the reports....when they show, it is usually mid june depending on water temps...minimum 55 mile run from the hook to start.....lots of fish on the troll early...then chunking and jigging picks up by july.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Monster ledge. From mid june on you have a solid shot at makos, with a possibility of bft, and as the season goes on, the bft get thicker. Good fishing, and its not too far from the hook.

Sharkin is sharkin, just make sure you set up your drift to cover some nice structure and depth changes.

For the tuna, troll pretty much anything in the 6-9 inch range, green, rainbow, rootbeer, just put out a little bit of everything. Its hard to predict what they'll bite on before you know what kind of bait happens to be there.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The hot bluefin bite early in the season last year was 65-75 from the hook, then progressively getting closer as the season wore on. Monster ledge was good on footballs and a few larger fish in the fall.

Get some cedar plugs, green machine bars, and learn to rig ballyhoo if you don't already. If the fish settle in on sand eels then it's time to jig.

We had a very good season last year out of the hook on bluefin and a few yellows.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The hot bluefin bite early in the season last year was 65-75 from the hook, then progressively getting closer as the season wore on. Monster ledge was good on footballs and a few larger fish in the fall.

Get some cedar plugs, green machine bars, and learn to rig ballyhoo if you don't already. If the fish settle in on sand eels then it's time to jig.

We had a very good season last year out of the hook on bluefin and a few yellows.
Until the green water came and pretty much never left.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Give me a call in spring , I start bft fishing june 1 anywere from 40 to 85 miles depending on were they are,i jump on with you , cant guarantee fish but only had one skunk last year and that was end of the season closer to shore 7328954271 rich , I do have gear just hate humping it but whatever you dont have ill bring , cant wait 2 more month till boat goes in :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas ill definatly get in touch after the tax day splash

Ry

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Scallop guts. Tred Barta filmed an episode about it off of Jersey. Find it and watch it. It's applicable in a lot of ways that I didn't account for until it was too late in the season.

Another tip is to open up your account so that once you start circulating some reports people who don't want to spot burn can contact you and trade intel. Along these lines, the best advice I can give is to network. As a relative newbie I can confirm this site is great for networking. It's a matter of giving what you expect to get. Even if you get skunked you can still report conditions which will be valuable to others.

Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts