BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I wanna get a conventional set-up for this year. Looking for something that will throw up to 14-16oz. I really haven't seen to many factory options. So if you know of any please let me know, or if you have a blank recomendation for a built stick that works too.

Also will need a reel, I'm thinkin I would prefer something with a level-wind but if level-windless is really the way to go I'll probably just slap my avet on

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I would email Kevin Bogan....I had two of his rods with me on the Pukefest Sat. They were not Surf Rods but it would have given you an idea of what he makes.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are you going to use it for?
there are plenty of boat poles that will handle that weight but not many surf poles.

throwing a clam in a nasty noreaster with 12oz of lead or half a bunker and an 8oz sinker a boat rod will not suit my needs, I know there are rods and blanks out there in the 11.5-12ft range that will handle these payloads

St. croix makes 2 12' 6-16oz and lamiglass has a surf n bar blank that handles 6-16 in 11.5 and 12 ft models

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
call frank.he may have what you need. i remember a large surf pole in his arsenal for sale.856 768 6473. his son is a barner.located in atco

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I doubt you're going to be able to find a factory rod that will throw that kind of lead. Your best bet is to get a custom, but that's going to run you a minimum of $250, and probably more, because good heavin' blanks are expensive.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The last one on the page fits the bill for a factory rod.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/mojo-surf
And I would (respectfully, of course) suggest that you'd be way better off putting that $280 toward a custom heaver than buying a factory rod.

Let me preface this by saying A) that I don't know squat about St. Croix's Mojo series, and B) that I'm a fan of St. Croix - they do a great job with their stuff, and I think that they're one of the most underrated, overlooked blank manufacturers out there (and their blanks are made in the USA). I've never seen a St. Croix blank I didn't like, and I have a couple of St. Croix rods myself. I'm going to the Rod Expo in North Carolina next month, and I'll be eagerly and appreciatively fondling the gear in the St. Croix booth while I'm there.

But most of the time it's foolish, in my opinion, to spend more than $200 or so on any factory rod. Customs are just better. And nowhere (that's right: nowhere) is the difference between a custom and a factory rod bigger than with a surf heaver. If you want a nine-foot, 1-3 surf plugging rod, there are dozens of factory rods out there, some of them very good. With heavers, though, there are so few factory-made models that a custom, if you can swing the cash, is absolutely the way to go. This is doubly, triply true if you're looking for a Big Heaver like a 12-n-bait rod instead of the more common 8-n-bait model.

Instead of shelling out $300 for a factory rod, go to a good custom builder. There are a few who are sponsors here on the Barn. You'll get a superior product at a comparable price, it will fit you like a glove, and it will last you a lifetime. There just aren't that many good factory heavers out there.

Casting A Brick
2 min 45 sec - Dec 7, 2006
www.youtube.com
This video was made with a rod made with Wheel's Reels Nail blank, and this is a Exhibit A in my lecture about custom rods: this blank is only available as a custom build; you can't get it in a factory version. They're a bit hard to find, but if you can track one down, I highly recommend Wheel's Reels blanks: they're very strong, and will serve you well for many years. I have a smaller Wheel's Reels model (the 933), and I like it very much.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I would email Kevin Bogan....I had two of his rods with me on the Pukefest Sat. They were not Surf Rods but it would have given you an idea of what he makes.

That cracked Me up Mike
The Title said "NEED A HEAVER"and right away You resonded:razz::D:D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I also suggest a custom but If you want cheap rod that will do that weight no sweat look at the Cape point rods at Bass Pro Shop. They are the only rods fatory made that will come close to holding up to that abuse.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i remember parking my truck up at the north jetty light house on lbi and seeing a truck with the biggest surf rod i have ever seen and thought to my self, what the F would you use that for. now i know. throwing over a lb of weight. it looked like a 12 ft flag pole with a reel on it.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Jim call Val, shes got someone building at the shop that does amazing work... Ive seen some of his rods and they're sick. He knows what hes doing.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as far as a builder goes I already know who I'm gonna have build the rod, I'm sure FP does great work and have seen some of his beautiful pieces, and Andrew I'm not gonna go with a "someone" at Val's shop, when there are guys who are known, by name, up and down the NJ coast.

Belmo I'm on the same page as you, as much as I love my st. croix for back bay fishing, I have trouble thinking it would be the best way to go for what I need.

Infact coming into this post I was about 95% sure I was getting the rod custom built. I guess I should have asked specifically for recomendations for blanks to build on

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Kevin doesn't build surf sticks.His cousin does however at Brielle.I know someone who just got one of his rods and loves it.Come to think of it it's a heaver too.

FC

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Infact coming into this post I was about 95% sure I was getting the rod custom built. I guess I should have asked specifically for recomendations for blanks to build on
Your builder should give you this information -- it's one of the things that you're paying him for. Any monkey can wrap a blank; what you're paying for (or should be paying for) when you shell out the dough for a custom rod is the knowledge of the builder: the kind of fishing you'll be doing, and what blank, components, etc. will work for you. The only information you need when you go to a builder is what you want your rod to do -- he should walk you through the rest.

If your builder can't or won't go through this process with you, find someone else. It pains me to say this, but there are hack "custom" builders out there, and going to one is a waste of money. You wouldn't go to a tailor who doesn't know anything about fabric, so you shouldn't go to a custom builder who doesn't know his blanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My favorite topic. I have A LOT of heavers. For a factory rod you need the Daiwa Saltiga Balistic SA-BS40-405B (referred to shorthand as the Balistic 40). It is rated 6-15 ozs. You can get it as a blank or already rung by the factory. I have one of the factory rung balistic 40's and it is great when you need to throw a ton of weight a long distance. It comes with Fuji lowriders so it can be used with either conventional or with a spinning reel. That way, if conventional does not work out for you, you can just put a spinning reel on it. They can get it for you at tackledirect. They don't list the Balistic 40 on their web site, but if you email them they will order it for you.

Custom rods are great also. I just got two sick custom heavers from JPR. A CTS 5-8 (too light for your requirements) and a Rainshadow SUR 1569f (rated 6-16ozs). Both are rung with titanium fuji lowriders. If you want to go custom, the rainshadow 1569f is the way to go. A big advantage of custom is that you can place the reel seat where it is most comfortable for you. The Ballistic reel seats on the factory rods are pretty far up the rod, so if you go custom you can put it exactly where it feels best to you.

My feeling is that if this is your first conventional heaver just get the balistic 40 factory rung. It would be ashame to go to all the trouble to get a custom heaver and then find out conventional is not your thing. With the Balistic 40, you have a truly awesome spinning heaver if conventional does not work out. btw, I have place in OC so email me if you want to try out some of my heavers. As I said, I have a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
As for the reel, I have a lot of thoughts on that also. To me a levelwind is a virtual must for a conventional surf rod. You do a lot of reeling with a heaver and having to thumb the line is just a hassle.

Having said that, I do have an Avet LX MC on a Zipplex Zeteque. It is my one non-levelwind conventional heaver. An Avet SX does not really have enough line capacity for a heaver. I think you need at least 70lb braid on a heaver rated as heavy as you are talking about.

With conventional reels, I think a big issue is do you want a lefty (hold the rod with your right hand and crank with your left -- the same way you do it with a right handed spinning reel). Having used spinning reels most of my life, I found it very awkward to use a right handed conventional reel. If you want lefty (like me), finding a conventional reel that is lefty with levelwind and magged is a problem. I think a magged reel is also a virtual must for a heaver. If you are ok with righty, there are a bunch of Abu Garcia reels that would work for you (magged levelwinds with enough line capacity for a heaver). I don't think there are any manufacturers who make a magged lefty levelwind with enough line capacity for a heaver. Since I wanted a lefty magged levelwind with sufficient line capacity, I went with an Abu Garcia 7001i (lefty levelwind) and had it custom magged by hatters jack.

A lot of people like the Penn 525 mag. I have one, but its sits on the shelf. It is non levelwind and it does not come lefty. I have tried to use it, but I just found that there are a lot of other conventional reels I like better.

People say that a levelwind cuts distance. It does, but its negligible in fishing situations (versus tournament casting) when you have a bigger conventional reel. I have some long distance non-levelwind conventional reels (Dawia millionaire 7ht mag for example) and the extra distance I can get with it is actually relatively minimal in a fishing situation versus my 7001i levelwind. When the big one bites, its just a lot more fun not to have to worry about laying the line across the reel when you are fighting the fish.

As to the suggestion above, to try a wheels reels blank, I have never tried one, but I heard they weigh a lot. The Rainshadow is EXTREMELY LIGHT which I think is a another thing yuou want to look for in a great heaver.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.