BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the outerbanks the second week of may. I'm gonna take the boat and i was wondering what fish I should be targeting. I've never been there before so I'm not sure what is in. I'm gonna fish the ocean but I might fish the sound as well if it's worth it. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know you can bang up the AJ's in May down there. But theres a ton of other stuff to catch too. I'd check the local reports on the net or call on of the tackle stores down there ahead of time.

·
Banned
741 Posts
i go there every year red drum you can get right off the beach may/june is the best time for them you can also go just a few miles off the beach and get into the bigger ones also mahi mahi tons of them like 20 miles off the beach it was voted last year best place to fish for them. also you can go out for trigger fish they are really really good eating if you like seabass its better than that :D hope that was helpfull to you

·
Banned
490 Posts
If the water gets warm enough then cobia should be around,me and a few buddies caught a huge one right in the inlet back when we were in HS on a weekend trip in late may

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Off both Hatteras and Oregon Inlet in May you will catch Yellowfins, Mahi, Blue Marlin, and Wahoo offshore. Leaving from Oregon Inlet, you only have to run about 35 to 38 miles before you hit the Gulf Stream. The Pirates Cove fleet leaves at 5:30 a.m. and you can follow them out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
louieeeeedrum said:
i go there every year red drum you can get right off the beach may/june is the best time for them you can also go just a few miles off the beach and get into the bigger ones also mahi mahi tons of them like 20 miles off the beach it was voted last year best place to fish for them. also you can go out for trigger fish they are really really good eating if you like seabass its better than that :D hope that was helpfull to you
tried to e-mail you but it won't let me. would like to get some tips on your set up for red drum. thanks.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
We can talk over some beers this weekend... I have been there serveral times with the boat..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob ECT said:
What size boat and what inlet?
i have a 19 foot boat. i wil be going out of oregon inlet. we are staying just outside of corolla. there is a marina a couple minutes away that i can put the boat into the sound also. not really sure on the water depth there. on the charts it looks a little shallow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts