BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I currently have two "surf" setups.... Both have All-Star rods 7' MH rods, one has an Okuma Avenger 65 baitfeeder, the other has another okuma coronado 50 series. The All-Stars are decent rods, but quite flimsy for MH. They are better suited for river fishing that I do. Anyways, I want another 7' rod that can be used for the surf, and also as a boat rod for big stripers. I want something that can handle a 40# fish is luck strikes. I also wanna keep things under $100. Here are a few that I looked at online.

Tica Surf Rod, 10-25# line, 3/4-3oz $80
Ugly Stik 7', 15-40#, 1-6oz $55 (too heavy?)
Ugly Stik 7', 12-30, 1-4oz $50
TSUNAMI SURF SPIN, 7’, Hvy, 12-25 lb, 1/2-3 oz $50

Anyone have any opinions on these rods? I know Ugly Stiks are almost impossible to break. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Sandwash

I have a few Tica TC3 Dolphins in 7'. I have used them in the surf and I use them on my boat all the time. I have St. Croixs that cost way more but love these rods. They have boated a striper at 53lbs, 41lbs and bunch of 30lbers and smaller. They have caught Blues up to 16lbs and a bunch of Tog. I also use them fluking. They are on of the best all around rods I have ever used. I have 3 seasons on them without a problem. Here are some pics that I have posted on the Barn before. I use them with Shimano Baitrunner 3500's and Shimano Stradic4000FI's. I think they are a great bang for your buck.:thumbsup: I deal with ECT on most of my stuff...Bob has always been great to me.

http://www.eastcoasttackle.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EM2353&Category_Code=460

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
that fish that , i quess it is Coll is holding is as fat as it is long, and the one your holding is a brute , there both nice catches, as for the rods. A buddy of mine lost what I would guess was a 45 pounder , due to his noodle tip ugly stick and his cheap spinning real couldn't put the boots to the fish when the current was ripping , and the fish's mouth was open like a 5 gallon bucket.
So I agree with Mike , Shimano Convergance series are good rods,
but St croix , or even better is to go custom . They are more espensive , but once you use them you will never use an ugly stick again.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
that fish that , i quess it is Coll is holding is as fat as it is long, and the one your holding is a brute , there both nice catches, as for the rods. A buddy of mine lost what I would guess was a 45 pounder , due to his noodle tip ugly stick and his cheap spinning real couldn't put the boots to the fish when the current was ripping , and the fish's mouth was open like a 5 gallon bucket.
So I agree with Mike , Shimano Convergance series are good rods,
but St croix , or even better is to go custom . They are more espensive , but once you use them you will never use an ugly stick again.

Joe

That is my buddy Josh (ZAR) holding that fish the he caught on MY ROD. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.