BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good cinder worm pattern for stripers,thanks.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
One that I've tied that looks good. It's a little labor intensive, simply because it requires spinning deer hair. I forget the name. But the recipe as I recall is;
Size 2/0 or 3/0 hook, standard shank length.
Tie in a clump of red or dark orange marabou at the hook bend. It should be 1-2 times shank length. Put in a couple strands of red or pearl krystal flash.
At that "tie in point" spin red or orange deer hair, carry this to about 1/4 inch behind hook eye.
For the remaining shank (1/4") spin in chartruese or black deer hair. Finish thread head.
Trim spun body into a tight cylindrical shape about 1/4 inch in diameter.

I've also seen the same pattern tied with a medium size orange or red chenile, wrapped along the shank of the hook in leu of the spun hair. If you choose this material, don't forget to tie in a little chartruese or black chenile for a little head. Who doesn't like a little head?:D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
One that I've tied that looks good. It's a little labor intensive, simply because it requires spinning deer hair. I forget the name. But the recipe as I recall is;
Size 2/0 or 3/0 hook, standard shank length.
Tie in a clump of red or dark orange marabou at the hook bend. It should be 1-2 times shank length. Put in a couple strands of red or pearl krystal flash.
At that "tie in point" spin red or orange deer hair, carry this to about 1/4 inch behind hook eye.
For the remaining shank (1/4") spin in chartruese or black deer hair. Finish thread head.
Trim spun body into a tight cylindrical shape about 1/4 inch in diameter.

I've also seen the same pattern tied with a medium size orange or red chenile, wrapped along the shank of the hook in leu of the spun hair. If you choose this material, don't forget to tie in a little chartruese or black chenile for a little head. Who doesn't like a little head?:D
Seems to me that I tied something like this a couple years ago, and the recipe called for a few wraps of lead wire on it. I am sure the fly is MIA now amongst all the fly fixins, and tied flies, and moving:confused:.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Windram's cinder worm

dixon's devil worm ( I have had most of my success with this pattern)

Dixon's devil worm gurgler

Roger's velvet worm has been around for along time. I have a bunch and they didn't work as well for me. however i'm sure there is a bunch of guys who would say the opposite about their experience with the pattern.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
I tied these about a year and a half ago, the last time that I saw a real worm hatch. Have not seen a worm hatch since then to give them a try.

With the worm hatch and slow fishing I decided to make a couple of cinder worm flies incase I need them tonight. Top left is a floating one others should be close to neutral. Either way I will test them out to see how they look in the water.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the info. Ray hope your feeling good after the operation.Had a good worm hatch in AC last season,in the back and on the beach in Brig.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Ray I remember you posting them last year. If I remember, you never had a chance to use them. Also I have been remiss in wishing you a good, speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you. Heal well & quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was color specific that particular night. Was using the standard red patterns with the same retrieve with very liitle success.. Fishing typical salt ponds at night from the Vineyard to L.I. Sound..

Will post a picture of the pattern soon...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It was color specific that particular night. Was using the standard red patterns with the same retrieve with very liitle success.. Fishing typical salt ponds at night from the Vineyard to L.I. Sound..

Will post a picture of the pattern soon...
Great looking forward to seeing it.....Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
I dont have pics but I tie wooly buggers in sizes 2-6/0, and put wrap-on eyes on them-all white, gray/ with tan chennille- are my most productive colors-of course all black at night-the wooly bugger is the most versitile fly ever invented-not to mention the most life-like, it will take any gamefish on earth-you just have to get them to see hear or feel it-basically all those fancy-named flys above- are just wooly buggers without hackle-I think the hackle only enhances the action (it helps it sink slower)-I've caught fish from NJ (the 28 mile wreck)-to colorado on the buggers-greenback cuthroats to mahi-mahis-try it out- and you'll see-
No striper will ever turn down a big ol bugger pulsating on its face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.