BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading to New Simrad evo2 unit with side &structure scan..Not sure where to mount transducer..Some say side by side..somme say foot apart then others say one on each side of transom..I hate to put holes all over so hitting you guys up for some help..Planning on doing install this weekend so appreciate any help at all ...Thanks Guys !!!!!!.....Earl

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine are about a foot apart. I think that is what the instructions call for.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I read up on this a bit when we purchased an lss1 a few years ago. Ideally one would mount them closer together so as to allow for the overlay feature to work as accurately as possible. However, I seem to recall reading once that mounting them too close could create some sort of signal interference- not sure how true that is but may be worth checking on. The more common problem from what I understand is the "shadowing" caused when the lower unit blocks one direction of the signal. People usually work around this by trimming up the engine, I don't really know if it's possible to address by changing where it's mounted. Not sure if this makes it more or less confusing but good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just added on to my boat. I put it within about a foot of my skimmer closer to the engine. From what I have read there are 3 sets of crystals in the transducer. The first set is what "looks" to the port side of the boat. The second set looking starboard and the final set looking straight down. You want it to be within a foot of the skimmer for the downscan overlay to work properly. You also need to make sure that it sits lower then the skimmer so it does not pick up the shadow of it on sidescan. Unlike the skimmer thou it is best to mount it so it is not below the hull of the boat. I haven't had any problems with the lower unit shadowing the sidescan as the amount of trim i usually run with is enough to get it out of the way. I did alot of reading and looking at pictures before I mounted mine as I also wanted to limit the number of holes in my transom. All in all a very simple install. Got to take it out the first time this weekend and it worked awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts