BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,967 Posts
A company makes a harness type device that is really made to help older dogs get up from a laying position. It is made to keep on the dog and is made in such a way that they can urinate and defecate with it on. It has a handle on top and one at rump level. Made of nylon with plastic fasteners. The company that makes them is www.helpemup.com.

· Registered
9,464 Posts

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Stew,
Is he free fed, or on the see-food diet....?:razz:

Dogs and cats come with a natural handle....the scruff. I am assuming that the stern of the WA is lower.....just get him close and drag him in. The handles on some of the life vests can help, but many can tear with alot of weight.

· Registered
424 Posts
Not sure where I've seen them (maybe Overtons?) but have come across plastic ramps/stairs, almost like plastic stairs you could find in a pool, that attach to gunnel and swing over side. Think they also use them for those boats in the islands when they take all the "seasick" snorklers from the resorts out!!!
I would def rec trying to keep some kind of attachment on him (nothing that would tangle his legs and interfere w/ swimming ability, but something that you could get hold of or boat hook) to lead him toward these steps/ramp...maybe a short training lead/leash. More I think about it, maybe saw these things in hunting catalogs/cabellas/etc...good for duck hunters dogs if they hunt deeper water and dog launches out of boat. 100# of wet dog gonna be hard to drag over side of boat no matter how you do it, unless he learns to try and help the cause....teach him to use these in shallow bay water where he can touch bottom then it should come natural to him

· Registered
4,131 Posts
My Dog "Bear" rocks a Harness when we take him out. Of course, we just have to slide him in the tuna door. But he dont jump... Yet atleast. He's made dozens of tuna trips and countless bay trips:)

Here are some pics of Bear and Maggie (My Mates chocolate Lab) on some outings.

In the one pic of Bear laying down against the salon sofa, its hard to see, but he's wearing a blue Harness :thumbsup:

· Registered
984 Posts
Found this one at cabelas, if your going in person call ahead and make sure they have one and get your name on it, Cabelas is good for listing things they dont have in store.

Then I found this site offering a Doggie Dock device, down the page you can see its basic but effective, in fact after watching the video I think you could make one easy enough and make the connection the way you want to not harm your boat, looks like a basic 2 piece board etc with a hinge with a float under it at one point, thought it looked cool. :huh:
http://www.doggydocks.com/

This one has jackets with floation and handles if your back can handle swingin your dog aboard.
http://www.pawsaboard.com/

hth
Frank Johnston

· Registered
386 Posts
if your dog can get his front legs onto the swim deck, you should put your hand firmly on the back of his head. he will instinctively push against your hand as he pulls himself up. its the darndest thing. you dont need to pull on him or anything, just hold your hand firmly and he will push against it and propel himself up and in.

this trick worked on my lab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.