BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Minnkota Riptide with the hands free key fob. Not sure if i want to clutter up the deck though. Anyone out there using one now? I see the advantage of having one, but it is a major investment with batteries, quick connect plugs, charger. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences? I hear horror stories about the signal from the lanyard not working all the time. It only makes sense to me to have the wireless version, as I usually fly fish by myself and have enough going on. I don't love the way it will look up there as well, but if it performs like it should- i'll get over it. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Once you use it you will wonder how you ever fished without it.

I don't have experience with the hands free but most who have them love it. I myself would only get a tiller model for durability, but I can see how that might get in the way of your backcast while flyfishing.....that is the only reason I'd recommend the hands-free, smaller footprint and low profile. Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll give you my opinions, but I have the copilot system on my freshwater MK PowerDrive trolling motor.

I added it to my TM after 1 year of dealing with the corded pedal and taking up deck space, and LOVE IT. Installed easily, You remove the (stock) 2 side bolts, place the copilot cover next to the side cover on the TM, and install with longer bolts provided.

It plugs into the TM, thru the corded pedal connection, so there was no additional wires to hook up to the battery. The copilot has an additional plug to connect your corded pedal if you should choose to.

I have 2 fobs, and a wireless foot pedal, but the system can recognize 10 devices.
The fobs take a CR2032 button battery, and the pedal either AA batteries (can't remember as I've only changed them probably once in the 4yrs of ownership). The FOB I've only changed once also. It synchs to the wireless easily with the push of a the button, and I’ve never lost synch.

The wireless pedal and the fobs have a speed up/speed down buttons, so it steps you to your next speed (not infinitely variable like on the corded pedals). I think there is 6-8 steps. Additionally, since the directional rotation is driven by a motor, you lose the infinite variability from say a cable driven rotational systems like on some MotorGuide TMs. So it takes some getting used to as I think the rotational speed is too fast no matter if you are using the wireless pedal, FOBs, or the corded pedal. I don’t care for the wireless pedal as some of the buttons are too small for my feet. There is a FOB plastic mount that you can wire tie to the fishing rod, but I think it gets in the way. I prefer the Velcro strap the FOB to my belt so it hangs there for easy reach. The TM has a “beep” confirmation to let you know if received the pushbutton command.

A joke you can play is to synch one of your extra FOBs to the MinnKota on your friends boat. When we are fishing in the lake, I can “move” him out of my spot….:)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Like Bayrat said you'll never know how you fished without it
I have the riptide with the little remote
I put the remote on a laynard around my neck and I love it
Once you have it you'll be amazed at how often you use it
My motor has the copilot feature but I haven't read up on how to use it yet
I mainly use it for fishing sod banks and flats for stripers and adjusting my drifts for flounder
Heres a pik of my setup

Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I have been using a rip tide with co-pilot since they first came out and love it for my charters and personal fishing. I use the velcro wrist set up. That way with on finger you can control everything. I fly fish all the time and less on the deck is best. It is very easy to use as I wear it on my left wrist and it is always close by. I always carry a spare control plus a foot pedal incase of emergency.

Another advantage of the remote control is when fishing by yourself,when you have to move to the back of the boat to fight a fish, you can still be in full control of the boat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using a rip tide with co-pilot since they first came out and love it for my charters and personal fishing. I use the velcro wrist set up. That way with on finger you can control everything. I fly fish all the time and less on the deck is best. It is very easy to use as I wear it on my left wrist and it is always close by. I always carry a spare control plus a foot pedal incase of emergency.

Another advantage of the remote control is when fishing by yourself,when you have to move to the back of the boat to fight a fish, you can still be in full control of the boat.
Thanks for all the feedback! Is the 80 enough? I'd really like to keep it to a 24v system.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Bayrat said you'll never know how you fished without it
I have the riptide with the little remote
I put the remote on a laynard around my neck and I love it
Once you have it you'll be amazed at how often you use it
My motor has the copilot feature but I haven't read up on how to use it yet
I mainly use it for fishing sod banks and flats for stripers and adjusting my drifts for flounder
Heres a pik of my setup

Good luck with your decision
You have a beautiful rig! I'm a little jealous. What thrust do have? Thanks for all the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts