BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello bassbarn!
I'm new here, and I need some of your guys experiences with offshore fishing. I'm a guy on a tight budget, I've done all my homework on reel and rod setup. What I need to know is how much line I will need in the setup listed bellow. Keep in mind i will be fishing on my friends boat GW 330 exp only once in the HC, and maybe twice around the glory hole, chicken canyon area each year.

The rod I have right now is a daiwa sealine boat tuna stick, XXH 5'6 50-130 line rating. Reel will be Penn squall 2 50vsw 40max drag, Fairly new but has a massive line cap. Penns website states it holds 1800 y of 100PP. I would like I have about 1000 y of 100# pp for backing, and the rest 80 momoi as topshot, but gettin 1500y of 100pp will cost 160$.
What I'm trying to find out is will 500y of 100pp with around 200-250y of 80momoi topshot be enough for the typical tuna, shark, marlin or sword that will be out there ?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hello bassbarn!
I'm new here, and I need some of your guys experiences with offshore fishing. I'm a guy on a tight budget, I've done all my homework on reel and rod setup. What I need to know is how much line I will need in the setup listed bellow. Keep in mind i will be fishing on my friends boat GW 330 exp only once in the HC, and maybe twice around the glory hole, chicken canyon area each year.

The rod I have right now is a daiwa sealine boat tuna stick, XXH 5'6 50-130 line rating. Reel will be Penn squall 2 50vsw 40max drag, Fairly new but has a massive line cap. Penns website states it holds 1800 y of 100PP. I would like I have about 1000 y of 100# pp for backing, and the rest 80 momoi as topshot, but gettin 1500y of 100pp will cost 160$.
What I'm trying to find out is will 500y of 100pp with around 200-250y of 80momoi topshot be enough for the typical tuna, shark, marlin or sword that will be out there ?

500 yds plus a topshot should be plenty for Tuna around here. I would look into hollowcore such as Jerry Brown etc. and cap it off with a 100-200yd topshot of momoi diamond.

But yes, 600+yds in total is PLENTY of line for the type of fishing you are looking to do/

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If you put a 1000 yds of 100 lb test braid backing on your waisting money on braid, very doubtfull more then 200 yds of the braid will ever be used, unless your fishing for giant bfins, which it doesn't sound like you are. A lot of us put a 200-250 yd top shot of 80 lb mono on a 50 size reel so that the braid is less likely to come in contact with other lines your running, since it will cut them off, and also tangle easier. You do want some stretch in your line when trolling, chunking and jigging., with it set-up the way most of us do, we can just change the top shot of mono if you've fought fish on it, and that's cheap todo. We have 130lb Braid backing and if a lot of bigger fish are around we can easily bump up to a heavier mono top shot. For the amount of trips your doing you might be better off with straight 65 or 80lb test mono. Good Luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That reel will hold more than a quarter of a mile of straight 80 pound mono. If you need more than that to beat a fish in those waters you need to take up chess!

SQL50VSWPEN-11951550/30
890/50
565/80

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Liu - Welcome
And good first question.

I don't know if there is a such thing as a "Typical Sword ". Typical Blue Marlin" or "Typical shark"..

For my Sword setup I got away from the Penn 50 and use only 70vsv. A big Sword will be tough on a 50.
As far as big Marlin , I have had a few hit my big eye trolling rigs and do a number on my 50s. Grant it these were some big freight trains.

I think your setup will be great for the Tuna that cruise the areas you mentioned. But be mindful that there are some big boys ( Swords & Marlin ) out there that will flatten your drags and steal your line.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Liu

I spool my 50 wides with straight 80 lb momoi mono and my 30 wides with 50 lb mono. In my opinion for general all round offshore use, particularly what you posted you'll be getting into......straight mono is just fine. I'm not a fan of braid for all round use offshore. It cuts other lines. it cuts fingers. Jigging i guess is a different story, but for all round use I stay with straight mono. I'm sure you'll get different opinions, but that philosophy landed me some darn nice fish over the last few years

Regards
Chot55 (Chris)
32 Proline Express "REAPER"........for sale!!
soon to be 34 Phoenix.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Slap some Hi-vis mono on it and call it a day. Big waste to put all that braid on it. Braid isn't for pelagics as fas as I'm concerned, unless of course jiggin and tiles too but were talking different reels then anyway.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I agree, just go with some hi vis mono. I buy large spools and fill when necessary. I do however have braid on my ex 16's because I felt that they didn't hold enough line. I put about 300 yards of 60 lb JB hollow and 150'-200 yards of mono.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I would just suggest you throw how much you are actually going to use the setup into the equation. One of the true benefits of backing with JB is that if properly taken care of it will last for years, so you will not be respooling the whole reel, just replacing the topshot... which, if the rig is being used frequently is something you should be doing regularly. Mono does break down..Sunlight, crossing lines and spread tangles, fish taking you under the boat... all sorts of things can effect the integrity of your line.

You can also reverse your braid every couple of years to double the life of it, which also helps justify the initial investment.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Go all " quality" mono. Save some money and it will do the job. We all have a tendency to over think things some times. In a worst case scenario you hook eyeballzilla and get stripped [ highly unlikely but all things are possible on the water ] then you have a story to tell forever and justification for the high price of braid.
PS. big eye and blue marlin seem to hit the smallest rod/reel in your spread so to justify your concerns you would need to have your whole spread set up with braid/top shot of the same test.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Most of the guys felt like I did, your better off with straight mono for how much your going out. It's just easier to work with, cheaper, and chances of being spooled are slim enough to stick with mono.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, but i already ordered the 100PP 500yard spool before coming back and reading all your replies. The 500y PP would give me enough backing, but also enough topshot of mono. I did the math, and the amount of mono that will fit on the reel after the braid backing will be around 200-300 yards. Thus giving me over 700 yards of line, and perhaps a fighting chance, if i ever hook on a fish of a life time out there. Im a strong believe of "I rather have it and dont need it, than need it and dont have it". The braid backing will save me some $ in the long run, when i need to change out the mono i will only change just over 200-300 yards of it. This way i wont be changing out 500+ yards of 80 momoi or de-spooling and flipping that much line, as I cant see why the braid wont last a long time, if it rarely gets used. With that said, I do hope i can learn more from you guys during this season. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Well good luck out there, I hope you get some nice fish. One of the reasons we love our sport so much is that you never know what you might hook into out there, the line on your reel is just part of landing a fish of a life time. The Best skippers out there lose big ones every year, every thing has togo right when your tied into a true monster. All your knots and crimps have to hold tight, the hook has to stay in place, once close to the boat if your going to land it that's a whole adventure where big ones are often lost. Keep it away from the boat until it's really tired, don't be afraid to tag in another angler if your beating yourself up, if your having to rest to much, so is the fish, a fresh angler can help beat the fish faster. It will make the meat better the faster you land it, and if releasing it give it the best shot at not killing it. Make sure your in good physical shape as well, we sadly hear of someone running into health issues while fighting a big fish.
Like a few other guys said the big fish seem to find the lightest outfit in your arsenal, but your off to a good start and we all would enjoy hearing about you landing a trophy fish. But all of them are fun to catch and trophies.

Tight lines, Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.