BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys never really went too the tackl box forum and man i am GLAD i did now...Some neat stuff here and tips and info...I have a 21 Starcraft need too paint bottom and i was told use Gulvit..Now is this correct?And how do i prep bottom..Sand than just 1 coat of the alluminum paint or let dry and put additional coat...What does it actually take too prep it properly dn't wnt too do it half assed you know...I hav a 7" grinder i can use just dn't know what type of weel as far as sanding if even need b...Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated Thnks Terry...THE PAZMAN;)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Is your Starcraft aluminum? Gluvit is not bottom paint, or even any paint for that matter. It is an epoxy sealer made by the Marine Tex people. I've seen it used on aluminum boats that have leaky rivets, it seems to seep into areas that leak and seal them up.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
As mentioned, I'll assume its a tin boat. What year is the boat? Is there old paint on it now? If so how many coats approx? Was it kept in the salt already? A bunch of things come into play here. Aluminum boats must use bottom paint that does not contain copper. If there's paint already on that hull and lots of it, you have no idea what its gonna look like if you strip the hull. I've seen people load up the bottom of tin boats with paint to hide corrosion and electrolysis problems thinking it would seal'em up.
Give us a little more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.