BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
trying to connect the wires. Does anybody know how these wires get spliced. The NMEA red and white wires coming out of the vhf have what looks to be a shield on top of the red and white wires that are on the inside. As the gps only has wires that of a phone wire style no shield.

So I guess my question is about the shield wire on the vhf??????? any body know how to wire them??????

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That site doesnt help me because they dont show Icom radios and say nothing about the ground shield.
Ya, Im trying to connect wires now but nothing. Got my mmsi # in but cant get cordinates to come up on vhf.

My next step is to now hook up shield to ground and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vhf is a icom m422 and my gps is a garmin 498.

directions say Vhf = "red" in........"white" out

gps = "blue" out........."brown" in

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
killerbee said:
My vhf is a icom m422 and my gps is a garmin 498.

directions say Vhf = "red" in........"white" out

gps = "blue" out........."brown" in
Go Garmin Blue to Icom red

Garmin black (12- or ground) to Icom white.

gamin's funny about using 12V negative for NEMA out/_...

Just never RED 12V positive near NEMA wires.... be careful of shields...sometimes connected to 12V-...but be careful they are....

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That didnt work either. Ive tried so many possibilities and nothing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Killerbee , In your gps menu scroll to the nmea option and select (nmea output on). Hope this helps . Also you need a MMSI number which needs to be entered in your radio , your DSC wont work with out that.

Dennis

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
killerbee said:
If that didn't work...see if there is a part of the menu in the Garmin that talks about NEMA output.
You sometimes haver to turn on certain sentences for the Radio to understand.

I think GLL is a LAT/LONG that ICOM will understand.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks scott and menace, for the help. I did go into the nmea and set it up so that every possible reading was availble but still nothing.

What sucks is the leads coming out of the vhf, the ones with the shields are getting short.

big headache.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Killerbee, did you ever have your gps hooked up to another radio before?
I had a problem with my gps , the nmea out put wasn't working . I called the manufacturer and they asked if it was over 2 years old. Had to send it back to them for a sofftware update , no charge . Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, new boat and electronics all together. The thing I dont get either is the two different styles wires for the nmea. Does your vhf's nmea have a shield on top of the inside wire. Here is a example of the layers. Black insulation, stranded wire rapped around, a white or red insulation, then stranded wire again on inside.
Now the Gps just has a blue and brown nmea wires that are just like phone wire just lil smaller and stranded.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Your best bet would be calling your gps manufacturer tomorrow and have them walk you through it. Sorry I couldn't help you. Good luck and give us an update .

Dennis

BTW my wires were stranded on both units

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I ve been trying to get my Lowrance and ICOM to work together for 2 years, no luck. I will check the menu settings as described above when I get it ready for the water.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
killerbee said:
No, new boat and electronics all together. The thing I dont get either is the two different styles wires for the nmea. Does your vhf's nmea have a shield on top of the inside wire. Here is a example of the layers. Black insulation, stranded wire rapped around, a white or red insulation, then stranded wire again on inside.
Now the Gps just has a blue and brown nmea wires that are just like phone wire just lil smaller and stranded.
That doesn't sound right.

The M422 manual I looked at just has a red/white wire coming out..

Most short nema wires if not bundled probably aren't shielded and probably 22 guage or so stranded copper wire...probably not tinned.

Some Icoms just use an RCA plug to plug into NEMA...very simple...

Is the Garmin putting out NEMA 0183 ver. 3.01 ?????

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm not sure this will help but here goes; in low voltage electrical wiring we used what is called shielded wire.The shield was connected at one end only to ground by code. This was to prevent any stray interference.It gives you cleaner ckt. You might want to give it a try.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
killerbee said:
Uh-oh
The Garmin blue wire is the data out +. Go to radio shack and pick up an RCA plug with 6 ft cord. The center conductor goes to the Garmin blue wire. The shield connects to the Garmin black wire (data out negative and 12V neg). Set the GPS interface to No input/ NMEA output . If that doesnt work you probably blew a circuit board fuse in the radio or GPS.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Capt scot. Ya, the directions just say red and white. But the red and white wire have stranded wire on top of it then more black insulation. Look up the manual/connections again and look on page 35. Check out in the pic of the leads #'s 2,3,4,5. You can see that there is a wire inside a wire. Also I have tried just hooking up the red and white wires inside to the gps with no luck.

I have a feeling they might be incompatible.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hire wire, I will try but what kind of plug??? How do you set those settings. Tried setupon the gps and I believe there wasnt anything like that.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
killerbee said:
Capt scot. Ya, the directions just say red and white. But the red and white wire have stranded wire on top of it then more black insulation. Look up the manual/connections again and look on page 35. Check out in the pic of the leads #'s 2,3,4,5. You can see that there is a wire inside a wire. Also I have tried just hooking up the red and white wires inside to the gps with no luck.

I have a feeling they might be incompatible.
I doubt they are incompatable....

I did look at the manual and it really doesn't give me a good idea...but if you say it's one wire with a silver braided shield and some foil covering the thin red/white wires...then that sounds OK. If you connect the red to the blue garmin and the white to the black 12V - Garmin, AND have the correct NEMA sentences and ports turned on...then I am at a loss...

You can take a multi meter and check for millivolt pulses in the gamin wires to see if it's transmitting NEMA...but if not handy with a multimeter (digital)...you may not feel comfortable with your test...I'm never REALLY sure either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts