BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - am in need of some help fishing in Ocean City. I am spending the week of July 12-17 on vacation with the in-laws in a much to small rental.

I figure the only way to keep sane is to fish as much as possible.

However, my home waters are the Northern end of Barnegat Bay.

I was hoping to get some tips from the local OC pros - PLEASE do not think I am asking for your personal "spots / locations" - I am just looking for advice on what would be better for stripers - should I stick to the beach, the bridge going into Ocean City, or Corsons?

I have read previous posts and see that a black/purple bomber or pink Fin-S is a start.

Please remember that I am on foot, but can drive any where (have 4x4 at my disposal)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
The locals hopefully will chime in. i can add that Corson's is a nice area and the fishing can be excellent.

Also you can take a ride to Mocean dock in Wildwood and rent Carolina skiffs from NO BONES TACKLE.

Black/purple bomber or pink Fin-S is a GREAT way to start.

Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I fish that are at least once a week and could point you in the right direction. Don't count on bass. Big sharks and mullet are plentiful. Best bet for bass would be late at night in the back around corsons or on the sod banks. I am planing to be there the weekend you are going so if you want to fish I'll show you a couple spots that have been producing consistant action for me. email if you want.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Big White,
Plenty of Opportunitys Are Waiting For You.....

Its best to check out all of those places you
mentioned but get a early start or fish the
overnight hours...Because The Town will be
Packed That Week....
Try walking the Beach SurfLine,throwing plugs
and jigs at night or just before Sunrise....
Or fish off the RushChattin Bridge after Sundown
down at Corson's Inlet State Park...
And Don't Forget there are some Boat Rental
Places up on the North End of Town that will set
you up for some BackBay(ICW)or Bay Fluke Fishing
during the Day...

Good Luck and Have A Great Vacation...

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Hey Gilly and Nightstrikes, are stripers still hitting at night? I have about 15 king heads I can use for bait. Last I heard there was no daytime action only nighttime. Am I better off with the king heads or throwing plugs during nighttime hours?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
RhinoScores,
Drown Those Heads After Dark in the Surf...
Its a Excellent Late Night Bait on the OC Beach
During the Summer....
Also take a plugging rod too,just in case...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Big White. I dock out of Somers Point. Fish all of the time in back of OC. I might suggest that you rent a skiff (won't mention names but there are a few on Bay Ave in Somers Point) and go flukin in Rainbow channel and Ships Channel. Both are real easy to get to and right behind OC in the Great Egg Bay. I have been using minnows and bucktails with mack and have been picking a few keepers up. Been hearing that plugging the sod banks at night has been producing some stripers. You might want to try surf fishing out in front of OC near 7th street and south. I was out front there on Sunday and came across tons of bunker and blues in only 6 to 10 feet of water right off the beach..Just me two cents. Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Big White-
Lots of good ideas from local barners, so I'll add a few more being a surf & jetty guy. North OC: 1. the fishing pier just over the bridge to Longport can be productive-good for kids; 2. Continue on the same road, good sod banks direcly in front of inlet; 3. The two jetties on the Longport side of the inlet; 4. Fishing jetty on 6th St in OC. Good Luck

fishnherb

·
Registered
549 Posts
Check with local bait and tackle shops for what is going on. They are a great source of information. Mostly that time of year you can catch kingfish and weakies from the surf using bloodworms and small rigs. Most beaches are guarded downtown and fishing is at a minimum unless you fish from the 5thst fishing jetty. Don't let those beach taggers scare you off or tell you you need a tag to fish that jetty. It is bunk! You are allowed to fish off that jetty there was an article in the local paper about it. Otherwise if fishing from the beach you must have a beach tag. Anywhere from south of 23 to 59th st you can fish outside lifeguard flags that are orange. Good luck No alcoholic beverages on beach unless camoflaged. Watch your P's & Q's and you could have a couple with no worries just don't flaunt it.

In the backbay boat rentals for flounder and seabass will cost you around $50 bucks with bait tackle, map,rods, etc. If your not brave enough to operate a small boat or have small children , Duke of Fluke pontoon boat and Flounder Pounder are two local boats. Ask your real estate agent or stop by OC infomation booth for further info on the way into town, or pickup free magazines at WaWa convience stores. Last guy who rented a rod and reel for a week landed a 50lb bass, and 30 lb Black drum. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your help - eelball and gilly - I appreciate your offers - will try to be in touch soon!

I will post my results when I return.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Thanks Nightstrikes - hope to throw the king heads this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts