BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I was fishing today with my kids on the bank on the road between the two bridges at Corsons inlet. It was low tide. When we flipped over a rock along the sod banks, there were these small crabs about an inch wide. They looked like fiddler crabs, but both claws were the same size. Any idea what they were? I tried using them for bait, but didn't get any hits.

thanks,

Al

·
Registered
88 Posts
green crabs or a far east crab?
Many articles have been writtten on this second crab. They aren't called "far east" I just cant rember -been a while since read article. Crab came from overseas and discharged from ship. Showed up first Souther NJ and has covered up much of the green crab territory. The State Wildlife monitor it's yearly range expansion.

Tog love and can work better if a crack is made in shell to let taste out. Also put on whole if less than 1inc. and pull shell off.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read reports of striper having crabs in their stomach so I figured they might work. I was going to save some for toggin, but didn't know when I would get back down. If you want to get them, there had to be thousands of them there. Just turn over a rock and 5 would scurry out.

I did a quick search and all I found was info about the European Green crab:
Green Crab
Carcinus maenas

Find books about seashore creatures at amazon.com

Description 3 1/8" (79 mm) wide, 2 5/8" (67 mm) long. Fan-shaped. Greenish, with blackish mottlings above, yellowish below, adult females orange-red underneath, young variable in color and pattern. Carapace slightly wider than long, with 3 teeth between eye sockets and 5 strong teeth, forward, curved toward the side of each eye socket. Pincers moderately large, equal. 5th pair of walking legs normal, not paddle-shaped.

Habitat On rocks, jetties, and mud banks in wetlands; in tidepools; from open shore to brackish water.

Range Nova Scotia to New Jersey. Introduced into Brazil, Panama.

Discussion Introduced from Europe, the Green Crab was unknown north of Cape Cod in the last century, but is now the most common crab along the shores of the Gulf of Maine.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
There are several crab species out and about along the banks...

Two of the invasive species are the European Green Crab and the Asian Crab...they look very much alike..the major difference is seen on the front of the carapace(shell...the side with the eyestalks and mouthparts)...the Green crab has 5 points and the Asian has 3 points...

other crabs around as well including the native Atlantic Rock Crab..which are nicknamed around these parts "whiteleggers"...

Do you have a picture you could post?

Phil L

·
Registered
452 Posts
green crabs? I found some under some rocks on saturday and used em for toggin.

I also caught about 5 crabs using clam while striper fishing, about 3 inches wide, used them for toggin too, I think theyre called stone crabs?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was washing out some seashells the kids collected and low and behold, a crab crawled out. It's about an inch wide, the is no points on the shell. It has the color of army camo; dark green with black areas.

al

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The claws are almost as big as the crab right? I've caught a few of those in my traps. To be honest I don't know what they are....

Phil L

·
Registered
88 Posts
yes, this is an Asian crab
easy to see difference when u find a little greeen crab and compare

When togging inshore and putting alot of bait over, striper will eat-fact or unfortunaly if tog is too small striper may eat small tog(illegal to use tog as bait)

Around Dec. 25 I can't find these crabs under snow covered rock but the togging offshore while it's snowing is fantastic|

Virgina Marine Resorces Commissoin has done extensive studdies in NJ bec. they don't want them in VA.- Asian Crab

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
What you have got there is an interloper! An introduced specie. In the aquarium trade they are known as Sally Lightfoot crabs. I think there are a few dozen types but they are all essentially the same. Smallish, flattened crabs with a wide stance and no paddles. They are fast as all get out and some are super colorful. They can't be good to have here I am sure.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI,

I checked some sites and it's not the Sally crab. It's definately the Asian crab. I found this site:

http://www.tjhsst.edu/~rwasher2/bio/boston/DOCS/1/asc.html

"Importance: Could have a significant impact on the normal rocky intertidal environment. The discovery provided a rare opportunity to document a potentially major introduction. May be competitive with native brachyuran crabs in the same habitat. "

Is this something that NJ should know about? There had to be hundreds if not thousands of them there.

Al

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
It's not a sally lightfoot, they are good for aquariums. The rule usualy is if their claws are larger than their head don't stick them in the tank.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I guess I stand corrected. The family is so large and so diverse it is hard to keep them straight, I just call anything small and flat with wide spread legs a Sally Lightfoot. I guess I should stop doing that. OOPs

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I luv this educational stuff!! Could you blow up that pic of the crab? HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry Ding, My digital camera is pretty crappy. I did save it in the freezer and will try to get a better pic.

Al

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know a place where those crabs are by the hundereds and use those specifically for tog. It will out fish fleas and green crabs by a longshot. The nice thing about them is there so small I use the whole crab I just break off a leg and go out the bottom. The night before my kid breaks off there pinchers with pliers so they dont get me when I reach down and get them in the bucket. I call em Tog cocaine. The tog eat the things whole so the hookup ratio is good because theyre not nibbling at it.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
They are what I call "Japanese" crabs, but have other names as well. They came over in the ballast water of ships and have taken well to the local jetties and rock piles. They are found in the back bays as well as outfront.

While I was in college, a friend of mine was doing a research project on them. He was doing a bunch of different things, like growth rates in different salinites and a stock assessment along local jetties.
We would go as far up as Brig. and work our way down to CM, checking the same jetties on a reg8ular basis. We would randomly capture the crabs and take them back to , count them, identify sex and measure them.

I'll contact him and see if I can get his paper for whoever may be interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts