BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i know this is a topic disscused alot and looked on some older post,but didnt find what i needed. I run a 26 foot proline and fish alot around the gloryhole when weather permits during the summer months.I am torn between the new acr 406 plb or just getting a standard epirb. I also would like to know if anyone uses the mini-b epirb and why is that model so in-expensive to other models. thanks for all who reply !

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi guys, i know this is a topic disscused alot and looked on some older post,but didnt find what i needed. I run a 26 foot proline and fish alot around the gloryhole when weather permits during the summer months.I am torn between the new acr 406 plb or just getting a standard epirb. I also would like to know if anyone uses the mini-b epirb and why is that model so in-expensive to other models. thanks for all who reply !
I carry a 406 and spot finder. The 406 I believe has its own GPS and gets searchers to you much faster since the haave the GPS coordinates of the EPIRT instead of having to rely on triangulation of satelite signals.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the small ARC, not the smallest one but the least expensive! It fits in a pocket or in a small plastic container with a small VHF and led flashlight. I clip it to me when fishing by my self, Falling out of the boat would seem to me the worst thing that could happen to the solo angler! If other people are aboard it is stored in the glove compartment, this has the best acess. Thay all do the same thing, the larger ones that float hold the antena above water, the smaller has to be held manually, the gps feature helps pin point your location but it's my understanding this feature isn't necessary, the coastguard when searching triangulates your location verry close even without the gps! With this being sead I opted for the gps enabled EPERB, only $100 more and better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I have the small ARC, not the smallest one but the least expensive! It fits in a pocket or in a small plastic container with a small VHF and led flashlight. I clip it to me when fishing by my self, Falling out of the boat would seem to me the worst thing that could happen to the solo angler! If other people are aboard it is stored in the glove compartment, this has the best acess. Thay all do the same thing, the larger ones that float hold the antena above water, the smaller has to be held manually, the gps feature helps pin point your location but it's my understanding this feature isn't necessary, the coastguard when searching triangulates your location verry close even without the gps! With this being sead I opted for the gps enabled EPERB, only $100 more and better safe than sorry!
Good post...I agree :D

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
I pack an ACR PLB with internal GPS with me every time I go out on my boat, or anyone elses for that matter (actually like the portability since I take lots of offshore rides with other guys).

If I had a choice of one or the other, I'd stick with the one that fits in my jacket pocket as opposed as the one that needs my boat to be underwater to release.

.... and as far as buying the lesser expensive one without the gps because the Coasties triangulate.... how important is that extra $150 going to be if heaven forbid you are bobbing up and down in 55 degree water somewhere.... I'm just going to guess a GPS signal is going to put them on me faster when another 20 minutes might make the difference between trouble and really big trouble.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it 50 pounder, Thanks the Acer 406 Plb looks like a good choice. I have the Acer float strobe onboard already with first aid kit,etc. I appreciate the feedback guys,Thank you very much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.