BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at picking up a 1996 johnson tiller steer 6 horse. has anyone on here owned and operated these little motors. and what would your overall opinion on them be. I'm just makign sure in not getting into a model that might be known for problems. i havent ever heard much about the little 6hp's

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i just got back from picking it up. once i heard it running and put it through the gears. i couldnt let it go for the price. it ran just like it came of the floor. very quiet with a very strong pump stream. the gentleman that had it replaced the cowlings and fairings with one from an 8 horse. how difficult will it be to find the proper stickers?? im not sure if it actually matters or not.

BB,

should i still replace the pump and thermo if it is running that quiet and smooth. and the other thing it is a long shaft, what kind of riser brackets are available for it these days. there has got to be something better than the old 2x8 method.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
well i just got back from picking it up. once i heard it running and put it through the gears. i couldnt let it go for the price. it ran just like it came of the floor. very quiet with a very strong pump stream. the gentleman that had it replaced the cowlings and fairings with one from an 8 horse. how difficult will it be to find the proper stickers?? im not sure if it actually matters or not.

BB,

should i still replace the pump and thermo if it is running that quiet and smooth. and the other thing it is a long shaft, what kind of riser brackets are available for it these days. there has got to be something better than the old 2x8 method.
You mean your boat is a 15" transom and the engine is a 20"??

Yes, pumps need changed every three yrs. Tstats should be checked, cleaned or replaced every year. If the seller couldn't tell you when they were last done I'd do them. No sense taking a chance on cooking that horse and can't hurt to get the bolts a little excerise..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.