BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lowe 1436L jon boat with an 84 evinrude 9.9 that runs great. A friend of mine offered to trade me his 16 ft. Northport Troller with a 87 evinrude 40hp VRO and side console for my boat and $350. He says the motor was completely rebuilt, but needs a fuel pump and that the boat is worth alot more than what I am getting it for. He recently had a kid and doesnt have the time for it he just wants something small to play aroudn in lakes with. Is this a good trade? or should i stick with my reliable little boat?

i am aware the vro pump is at least $400 but i would just put a straight fuel pump on it and mix my own gas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any opinions??

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't even think about it, If you don't see that motor run, its worthless unless you're an experienced mechanic, with access to cheap parts. MartyD

·
Registered
841 Posts
Do a compression test that tells all. I have had a few 40s and the are very dependable motors. I'd trade in a heart beat. Just bypass the vro if you would rather mix yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea he says it runs, he supposedly put alot of money into the motor. i think i will meet up with him and see if he can start it up for me. i would like to see it run for myself. i just dont want to get screwed by getting a lemon when i had a perfectly good jon boat. It would be nice to get out in the river with this bigger boat tho. that is what is making me consider this trade.

just wanted to see what some of you guys had to say before I did anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts