BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
I would not spend alot of money on repairing 20 year old motors. Those Force 125's were U.S. Marine motors and share very little with the later Force motors that had some Mercury support. All Force have been discontinued so getting some parts will be difficult. If you have money to buy later model motors... do it. What boat are these going on?

· Registered
513 Posts
My friend is a boat mechanic and he said to me force motors are not good at all and are even more of a pain to fix and get parts.
I would get evenrude, or mercury motors they are suppose to be the best.! Dependability and longevity is the most important thing!

· Registered
30 Posts
you might be better off getting a single 200 to 250. Lots of guys repower w/4strokes because one of their twins went bad. you might get a deal on the one that works. I repowered my grady when the shaft on one of the twin 250's broke. I traded in the working engine for like $2500. It ran fine. talk to some repower shops at the AC boat show, they might be looking to make a deal on the old trade and make some cash on the rigging.

· Registered
967 Posts
Honda!!!!!!

I put a 225 on mine, and it's been GREAT!!!!!!!!! Can't say enough! It's really nice to have a conversation, without yelling, at full speed! Great gas mileage! She's been purring along for 4 yrs., without a hitch!!!:):):):)

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Only repower if you REALLY like the boat and plan on keeping it for a long time.

If you sell the boat there is a lot of money in installing the motor that you will lose if you turn around and sell it in only a few years.

Joe

· Registered
4,021 Posts
If you want to go cheap see if you can find a running 125 force to replace it with...
I think he said both motors are shot. I hope the boat they came on was free! I would go with a big single in decent shape so when it comes time to upgrade, I could keep the motor and find just a hull that needs power.

· Registered
27,060 Posts
I think he said both motors are shot. I hope the boat they came on was free! I would go with a big single in decent shape so when it comes time to upgrade, I could keep the motor and find just a hull that needs power.
Sorry, had a translation error.... I would find a 250 ox66 for a few grand and hang it on there...:thumbsup:

· Registered
423 Posts
I was asking about what boat this was for because I'm guessing the Forces are 25" shafts and probably off a Trophy. I think 89 (?) was the last of the 125's and then they went with 120's. If this is the boat than going with a single will probably mean you will need a 30" shaft motor. Not impossible to find but certainly more difficult. Of course you can cut down the transom or buy a bracket but I sense you are trying a more economical approach.

BTW if it is a Trophy and you are replacing with another brand twins better make sure they are going to fit. Many of the V4,V6 will not fit the transom cut-out

· Registered
454 Posts
Replace with a single Yamaha as long as you like the boat. The other thing you want to consider on a boat of that age is that you will probably want to do the gas tank and a complete fuel system overhaul at thime of repower. This will eliminate fuel system contamination problems.

· Registered
8,079 Posts
Single WHATEVER engine you think is best for you...ETEC is however running an insain deal...you could buy a 200hp engine and upgrade to a 250 free of charge...so that might be an option? Or buy a 150 and upgrade to 200 howveer it works...

Can't go wrong with any motor these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.