BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I have asked this elsewhere, but always seemed to get good responses from all of you here. I have a 9' Tica 1/2-3oz mod/fast for plugging the surf and some lighter surf fishing. Got it for christmas and cant wait to use it, but need a reel. I have been looking at the Penn Sargus and Okuma Salina. Been hearing more neg than pos on the Salina and some mixed feelings on the Sargus. What do you guys think? I have always used Penn, but for some reasons i really like that salina. Cant decide :huh: Help please haha

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have the same rod with a penn slammer on it, 460 or 560 fits the rod good, stay away from okumas in the surf, I had one and it only lasted one fall. If you're gonna get it wet, rough surf or wading to bars I'd stay away from the sargus too

·
Registered
531 Posts
Go with the Sargus! It's a very reasonably priced reel that will take the punishment. If you're just going to walk the sand then it'll do just fine right out of the box. If you're a little more adventurous and like to fish the bars and don't mind getting wet then do yourself a favor and clean the factory grease out and replace it with the Vaseline and 3-n-1 oil "secret surfcasters mixture". I spent more time out on a bar this fall than I did in my own bed and my Sargus got dunked more times than I could keep up with and it didn't so much as hiccup. It was totally submerged in 2 feet of water on a bar once for 10 minutes while I tended to a pesky knot and it ran like a top afterwards without so much as a rinse-off. Remember: Vaseline & 3-n-1 oil = waterproof.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Really? i heard the sargus was pretty tough. Tougher then the Salina

correct the sargus is pretty tough, alot tougher then the okuma which is a complete piece of trash for the surf, the sargus is better , but I still would not recomend it for the surf

Spend the extra $$$ when it comes to the surf you get what you pay for quite frankly I haven't found a reel for less then $150 thats worth anything for the salty sand. The surf is a nasty place for equipment

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Go with the Sargus! It's a very reasonably priced reel that will take the punishment. If you're just going to walk the sand then it'll do just fine right out of the box. If you're a little more adventurous and like to fish the bars and don't mind getting wet then do yourself a favor and clean the factory grease out and replace it with the Vaseline and 3-n-1 oil "secret surfcasters mixture". I spent more time out on a bar this fall than I did in my own bed and my Sargus got dunked more times than I could keep up with and it didn't so much as hiccup. It was totally submerged in 2 feet of water on a bar once for 10 minutes while I tended to a pesky knot and it ran like a top afterwards without so much as a rinse-off. Remember: Vaseline & 3-n-1 oil = waterproof.:thumbsup:

Hey Simp, You have to go into a little more detail for me (and a few others, I'm sure) with your seret concoction of Vaseline and 3-in-1 oil. What is the ratios of the ingredients, meaning how much of each? Do you just lightly lube the gears with that or do you pretty much pack the whole reel with it like the grease fills the hubs on Bearing Buddies? C'mon dude, don't leave me hanging!!! LOL :D

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Sounds to me you are looking for a plugging reel and one for light duty bait fishing. Consider looking at these two reels one is in the price range of the two you mentioned and the other would be more expensive. Look at the Diawa BG 15 or BG 30 on the cheaper end. If you got the cash and can afford a little more check out the Quantum Cabo 40. I have each and can recommend the Diawa's for starting out. The are tanks and can take a beating. I actually have 3 BG 30's.

GSBB

·
Registered
791 Posts
in the 150.00 range i would reccomend the 460 or 560 slammer. i can only reccomend what i know and have used.

i know a few guys who swear by the bg series reels, i know people that abuse them and they still work great. just have to keep them clean and maintained. but that goes for all reels.

i use my 560l slammer for live lining eels, it has taken some abuse and alot of waves. after 6 or so years it still works like the day i got it.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I have heard great things about the Penn Slammers I just can't comment since I never owned one. You are going to get a lot of opinions and these opinions are going to come from peoples experience with different brands. I suggest you use the search function on here to help you decide.

GSBB

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ive ahd good experiences with sargus, spheros, and slammer reels. However i would encourage you to look at some of the daiwa surfcasting reels, such as the emblem or emcast, Engineered specifically for surf fishing, these guys help you get the most casting distance.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Simp, You have to go into a little more detail for me (and a few others, I'm sure) with your seret concoction of Vaseline and 3-in-1 oil. What is the ratios of the ingredients, meaning how much of each? Do you just lightly lube the gears with that or do you pretty much pack the whole reel with it like the grease fills the hubs on Bearing Buddies? C'mon dude, don't leave me hanging!!! LOL :D
Sure! First off, I can't lay claim to the concoction, but it works.

Ingredients: You guessed it! Vaseline and 3-n-1 oil. I take a big scoop of vaseline and put it in a glass or coffee cup and stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. The idea isn't to melt it, but to soften it up just a little so it's easier to stir.

After it's out, squirt in enough 3-n-1 oil to make the vaseline soft'ish. You don't want to put enough in to make it runny, but just enough to soften it up a little more. If I had to guess, I'd say the ratio would be 1 tablespoon vaseline to 15 to 20 drops of oil. Mix it up really good.

After it's mixed up good, simply take a spoon, popsicle stick or something similar and pack it in your reel as much as you can. Cycle the gears and fill any voids you see. Take the side-plate and put as much on the side-plate as you can so you don't have a void there as well. Since my side-plate is concave I simply put some on it, spread it out, and "leveled" it off with a popsicle stick.

I also put some vaseline in the recess that's on the opposite side of the handle (on ambidextrios reels) to fill that void as well. When you put the side-plate back on there should be enough vaseline on it to squish out to ensure that there are no voids.

Also, when putting the side-plate on, there should be some vaseline that is in the screw holes, so when you tighten them down the screws will be sealed as well. I also put some vaseline inside of the cap that goes opposite of the handle. Might as well seal that as well.

Finally, wipe the reel body down and you're set. Give the reel a spin and make sure everything is as it should be. Your reel should run very smooth. It shouldn't feel "sticky".

If you've got it packed good it'll be water tight. I've experienced VERY minimal leakage using this as well. Some vaseline started pushing out where my reel handle screws into the body. It was a VERY small bead, and quite frankly, I fished with it like that for 2 weeks and it never got bigger and I never even hit it with my hand or finger. I don't think I've left anything out but if you have any questions please ask. It works!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry but Simp.....pack the ENTIRE reel housing??? :nuts: Just kidding! i wanna try it now. I have never heard of anything like that. Thank you for the tip. Sounds messy though.

Blynch, i like those reels. Was just looking at them. So i think right now its a toss up between the emblem or emcast and the sargus. I know alota people will say pay the extra money and get a better reel, but frankly, im poor enough as it is having too many other "expensive hobbies"!

...and thank you all for your help. You guys are great.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I'm sorry but Simp.....pack the ENTIRE reel housing??? :nuts: Just kidding! i wanna try it now. I have never heard of anything like that. Thank you for the tip. Sounds messy though.

Blynch, i like those reels. Was just looking at them. So i think right now its a toss up between the emblem or emcast and the sargus. I know alota people will say pay the extra money and get a better reel, but frankly, im poor enough as it is having too many other "expensive hobbies"!

...and thank you all for your help. You guys are great.

Buy the reel you can afford. If you dunk it in the surf make sure you get it cleaned up. Try and carry a bottle or two of water with you to get the sand and salt water flushed out. Have fun this year!

GSBB

·
Registered
4 Posts
can't believe you guys have had trouble with the Okuma reels. I've had an Okuma coranado 30 bait runner for 8 years now. I use it on an 8 FOOT tica for a plugging rod . Have had very good service with limitted care. has been wet many times.Spray often with WD 40. I also have penn 4500,5500ss for 20 years with little trouble. Drag knobs,and spools only.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
can't believe you guys have had trouble with the Okuma reels. I've had an Okuma coranado 30 bait runner for 8 years now. I use it on an 8 FOOT tica for a plugging rod . Have had very good service with limitted care. has been wet many times.Spray often with WD 40. I also have penn 4500,5500ss for 20 years with little trouble. Drag knobs,and spools only.

I have a few Okumas too, that have stood the test on the beach...I even have a cheap ( $35.00 ) Corrida BR 50 thats as smooth as the day I got its gasketed, and its 7 yrs old. and has handled a few large bass and plenty of blues.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 work

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i think ive officially decided on the Sargus. Really wish i could see one of these first hand or even test one so i know which size would be a better fit for my 9' tica. Def either the SG5000 or SG6000, but dont want it to be oversized for just a 9' rod.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Simp. I can see the logic of filling the reel, just like how Bearing Buddies work. I'll try it next time I'm servicing a reel.

As for my thoughts on the reel you want Brady, I like the Quantum Boca 40 for under $150. The Spheros is a good choice too.

If you want the combo to balance, bring your rod when you are picking out a reel, and put the reels on your rod at the shop. The store where I work has dozens of reels and I'll always have the customer try the reel on the rod he has (if we stock that rod) or something similar if he thinks that will help him decide. Best is to put it on your actual rod, so bring it in and see what feels best to you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.