BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jill and I are headed to the Keys around Thanksgiving, planning to drive down from Miami to Marathon, spending a night or two in Key Largo and Islamorada along the way. If anyone knows of any areas where we could get access and do some wade fishing, the info would be greatly appreciated. We are not targeting any one type of fish, just looking for something that will stretch our fly lines. If you prefer you can email me direct at [email protected]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also am going to the keys at the end of october. I am staying in islamarada. Could you send me that link also. I need some info on wade fishing. THANKS

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Slade You have mail.

Logic Can't find you e-mail, so I can send this to you also. Ron

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
there are some nice wadeable flats just before islamorada if i remember correctly. they are near the old italian fisherman's marina, but on the ocean side. you will see them right on the ocean side of hwy 1 (driver's side of the car) while heading south. they get a lot of pressure, but are pretty good.

another good bet is just south of the seven mile bridge. there is a place to pull off the highway, and go down a slight hill (for the keys it's a mountain), and there are some picnic tables, and i believe a block house with a bathroom. the flats there are very productive, and you can get lots of bones on the incoming to full tide. if i remember correctly, it's only a mile at the most at the end of the seven mile bridge.

if you go a bit further south, the torches have some great flats on the gulf side (passenger side of the car). lots of bones, cuda, and sharks. you may get some resident tarpon, but that's the wrong time of the year for them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sparse,

My email is listed in the original post that started this thread.

Doyle,

Thanks much. I will give the first two spots a try. I don't think we are going to make it much farther south than the 7 mile bridge.

Slade,

Did Splash email you that link? If not, let me know and I will email it to you.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Logic Got it & sent it. Enjoy. Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are going to the Keys - try these flats - you will not be dissapointed

First, in the vicinity of the Offshore Angler shop you will have access to a flat called Bonefish Bob's. Directions can be obtained from anybody in the Offshore Angler. And yes - you will want to stop in this shop - it is great - even has Ernest Hemingways' boat inside.

Second, when you get over the 7-mile bridge, go into the Bahia Honda State Park. This state park not only has one of the best beaches in the world (as ranked by National Geo), but also has some great white-sandy wadable flats. On these flats you will have a legitamite chance to catch bones, permit, and poons.

One last departing piece of info. Before you get to the place you wish to fish, stop by one of the many bait stores and buy some fresh shrimp. Chum the shrimp on the flats you are going to fish, and give them 20-30 minutes to do thier work. For the traditionalist - this will be blaspheme -but when I spend a couple of grand to get to these spots - I want to not only see fish, but also catch fish.....

As you can see - I am no traditionalist.....

Good luck...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mullet,

Thanks for the tips. Jill doesn't have a lot of confidence in her distance casting ability with the whippy stick, so she will likely be tossing some shrimp with spinning gear. I'll let her do the chumming. ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i forgot about the marathon high school flats. find the h.s., and look for the flats behind them. they have been very productive in the past.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doyle,

It looks like we'll be spending two nights in Marathon, so we will definely give those flats a shot. Thanks again for all info erveryone!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts