BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to the art of surf fishing... just got a setup this past summer and have only gone a few times but this spring I would like to hit the beach as much as possible. I have a basic understanding of what to look for in search of bass and blues, (such as flat spots between breakers indicating holes, birds diving, bunker jumping), however when i walk the beach all I seem to see is waves and im really having trouble reading the surf. Im going to school full time so i dont really have a lot of time to put into scopin out a good spot but i dont wanna randomly toss a clam in a pointless spot either. Any advice on what to do or what to avoid would be greatly appreciated!!

· Registered
24,062 Posts
Welcome Beaverhole.:D

Walk the beach at low tide and observe..Check for sandbars, cut outs and holes..Make a note of them and come back at high tide and work those spots...

· Registered
6,122 Posts
Welcome to the Barn Beaver,...A little Recon goes a long way, You will, definitely benefit from a trip at low tide to the area you wanna fish prior to fishing it. as you get familiar with the spot you plan on fishing frequently you will increase your catch ratio.....guarenteed..!...I Alway look at the way the waves roll back into the surf you get an Idea where the Rip currents are by seeing two waves washing back on eachother in the sand,.. I always fish these areas because the current they create...washes bait out and its a natural ambush point for stripers. Good Luck....!

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

· Registered
14 Posts
By no means am i an expert at surf fishing b/c i've only been doing it for a lil over 2 yrs but being a member on this site has help me out ALOT there is as many opinions as there is members on this site but to me diversity only makes you a better fisherman. There is other websites out there that are also helpful but i won't post them b/c it's not fair to this one.....google is a great thing.....another wealth of info is from your local tackle shop.....the owner will help you out as much as possible and if they don't want to take the time to then don't spend your money there......b/c there will most certainly be another B&T 10 minutes down the road that will help you. I just got this book so i haven't been able to apply any of the things i've learned in it but i would def. say it's a must buy.....it's called "The art of surfcasting with lures" by Zeno Hromin....your head will spin with all the info that he jammed into it. I live in Camden County and fish in LBI and go to Ocean Side B & T ...Val and her crew have helped me out tremendously...and something your going to hear prolly a mllion times just go out there and do it.....note what works and when.....also note what doesn't and when but don't be afraid to try it again in different conditions.......best of luck :thumbsup:

· Registered
7,546 Posts
Welcome Beaverhole.:D

Walk the beach at low tide and observe..Check for sandbars, cut outs and holes..Make a note of them and come back at high tide and work those spots...

Roger just gave you sound information in very simple terms. If you can recon do it, it will help your confidence factor as well. If you are not confident you are in a good spot you will be second guessing yourself all day.

I will give you another tip, go as light as possible to the beach. This way it is not a chore to have to pack up a ton of stuff to move to a different spot if there are no fish. Take notes of the tide and time of the day you spent at the spot you fished in a log, this way you can start to find out when that spot or beach is productive and under what type of tide and time of the year.:thumbsup:

GSBB

· Registered
1,246 Posts
Where will you be fishing? Fishing around jetties is a good starting point. If you are fishing on beaches like in Ocean City, NJ where its a flat beach with a faily slow grade out to sea, as everyone said, just walk the beach at low tide. Sandbars will be exposed and you can see where breaks are between sandbars which may hold fish when the tide comes in. And you can get an idea of how far you will need to cast to get past the sandbars when the tide is in.

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chip, if I'm up at school ill probably be fishing Seaside or IBSP, if I'm home then it'll be Ocean City. I know my way around Ocean City but I've never been to Seaside or IBSP. Im anxious to get on the water and get my motorcycle out so once this weather warms up im thinkin ill cruise to the beach with a notepad at low tide and kill two birds with one stone :thumbsup:.

· Registered
55 Posts
You are going to read a lot about reading water. One thing I do not recommend is buying into generalization, “west is best, east is least, and slack for large” are just a few that pop up. Relate wind, tide, bait migration, and water temps to the specific piece of water you plan on fishing. Once you found a piece of productive looking water at low tide, if possible walk out in the water. Pick up rocks (any life under there?); note any changes you cannot see from the beach. Then fish all tides or at least observe all tide stages. High Ebb may produce a rip, while high flood barley produces moving water. Think about how the wind may affect the spot. If your primary bait is small sand eels you may want a wind at your back to keep the sand eels tight. If it is herring you may want a wind in your face to punch bait to you. Do your studies and fish at night, every night that is possible. The more you fish the more you will learn. Good luck!;)

· Registered
6,469 Posts
I dont fish the open beach much and cannot throw all the correct terminology at you but every time I take someone out I just tell them to cast at something besides the horizon. Whatever structure you fish (bridge, beach, jetty) you need to break it down. Dont cast blindly - you will not learn anything - every cast should have a purpose and target a specific sub-structure. It will not be long before you start to narrow it down to the more productive sub-structures and your numbers will go up.
Then, like Bill said, you will start to pick up when to fish in addition to where and how.

RyanF

· Registered
1,243 Posts
There was a great thead on the barn about 3 yrs ago by nightstrikes.You should be ale to locate it with the search feature.I believe it was titled fishing the white water.Also a number of others.Most questions you can ask have been answered.Just do a little research.
Its shame he stoped posting, as he was a geat source of info.:(

Good luck,
Don

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anyone else in need of surf help the thread that Don Friel is referring to is titled Reading the Water by REELfrazzled. The thread is from 2007 so nice memory Don! However, unfortunately it looks like nightstrikes was banned so thats probably why you haven't seen any posts from em... Thanks again everyone having this info will really boost my confidence this spring/summer. Ive thought of another problem i may run into... All the surf fishing Ive done has been in the fall after the summer crowd has left... are there any places that I'm not allowed to fish on the beach? This past fall I would just park on the street in OC (like 40th street and higher) and walk to the beach but what about when the people with beach houses wanna go for a dip and i have a hook in the water? Same question for Seaside as well... or anywhere for that matter haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.