BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yamaha has decided it didn't need 2 of its cylinders and it doesn't run so good on 4. Hence I'm in the Market for a real good used 200 to 250 hp outboard or going to buy new.. Does anyone know of anything available.
I've been looking and doing some research and have it down to Suzuki or Mercury. The Yamahas just aren't available and have a 54 week delivery right now, The Honda/Tohatsu are the heaviest of all of them and not confident in the service availability - but could be convinced different if the right deal can be made.
Any opinions on the Suzuki versus Mercury?
Then again have to find one of them also, so the decision might be what becomes available and when.
Anyone have an opinion on the Mercury Pro XS for Saltwater service?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Mike

My younger bro repowered with 250 suzukis 2.5 years ago and No issues with them -imagine he has at least 500 hours on them(goes offshore alot)

Older bro repowered with 300 Yammis 1.5 years ago and no issues with them-approx 200 hours or so

Availability is the key

Probably can find a OX66 as a temp fix-I have 1185 hours on my 2002 with no issues

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike

My younger bro repowered with 250 suzukis 2.5 years ago and No issues with them -imagine he has at least 500 hours on them(goes offshore alot)

Older bro repowered with 300 Yammis 1.5 years ago and no issues with them-approx 200 hours or so

Availability is the key

Probably can find a OX66 as a temp fix-I have 1185 hours on my 2002 with no issues
Would rather not spend 5 K on a temporary fix - Used outboards like anything boating related is stupid inflated right now.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
New motors are running 18K plus and very limited stock or production as most get hung on manufactured boats. Used prices are high and thin due to lack of new availability.

My brother in law is in the same boat as you trying figure out a new outboard solution. So glad I run inboards!

·
Registered
892 Posts
With the shortage of new outboards and parts, I would seriously consider a new power head. Even though you might look sat it as a "temporary" fix, it will get you back out on the water. And there's no telling when the shortage of outboards is going to let up. Personally, I know several people who have been running re-powered outboards for years with no problems.

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
Very different, but the same, in that I’m looking to repower/upgrade from a 40 etec to a 60. Prefer another etec but not looking good on that front. The 40 is running but a bit tired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts