BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out with Airsickness Kenny again today to a couple streams to the north of us. We had a tough but decent day the last time we were out in late April, so I was hoping we would banged them up this morning. We did better than last time, but fish are still hanging on the bottom like it’s early spring, the water was stained at both spots, and while the air was balmy with 200% humidity, we still had to fish low and slow to put together a solid day.
We arrived at the first stream around 7:30 AM, and it looked like it had gotten hit with a local thunderstorm overnight. It wasn’t that high, though high for mid-May, but it was a bit muddier than I would have liked. Things are getting very green now.

We started nymphing a deep hole close to where we parked and each caught one in short order. Sometimes that’s a bad thing though. It would take a long time for me to get two more on a flashback pheasant tail before we turned to the spinning rods and crankbaits. The place is loaded with down trees and stumps, and tight overhangs, so it eats flies. I think Ken was mentally done, and I was happy to switch gears after a slow start. One shot of a rainbow on the beaded pt.

We spent at least another hour plugging, and we caught a few more fish at stream #1 with the spinning rods, including a couple wild browns for Ken. One vicious little guy took a swipe at a CD 5 that nearly as big as him.

And I managed about 6 more, including a brookie that had been there a while. Probably not wild but definitely healthy fins like he’d held over a few seasons. I can’t remember catch a brook trout in this creek ever, and the two streams we fished today are sort of my second-home turf creeks. Ken pictures are as bad as mine, but we had a laugh at the sequence here. Trouser trout…

The novelty fish wore off quickly, so we made a move to another stream, a big freestoner we have both fished before. It can be tough sometimes, but when we arrived, fish were actively rising in spots. We were too lazy or tired to go back and get the fly rods, so we plunged in with plugs and spinners. A shot of stream #2 with a pair of what look like mergansers.

I mis-lead Kenny to a hole that never holds fish (I am a terrible guide, just ask my old man) and snuck down to another hole and banged 4 in about 6 casts before he caught up with me...... We decided to stick to together after that and had a ball salvaging the day with a mess of stockies in a fun, fast hole. I lost count because it was so sporadic, but I am sure Ken hit a double-digits and then some, and I had a hair over 20 for the day. I am part hermit and fish along a lot, but it is good to get out with a good dude who also doesn't know when to quit. It was still like mid-April fishing, not mid-May, but I guess that means June 15[SUP]th[/SUP] ought to be awesome.

·
Registered
177 Posts

And I managed about 6 more, including a brookie that had been there a while. Probably not wild but definitely healthy fins like he’d held over a few seasons. I can’t remember catch a brook trout in this creek ever, and the two streams we fished today are sort of my second-home turf creeks. Ken pictures are as bad as mine, but we had a laugh at the sequence here. Trouser trout…

Whoa! That poor trout haha!!

Looks like a great outing. Fishing with good company is always a bonus especially when everyone is catching fish.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa! That poor trout haha!!

Looks like a great outing. Fishing with good company is always a bonus especially when everyone is catching fish.
Thanks, man :thumbsup: What a mess, huh? I think I was just reaching for my forceps when Ken got me in that compromised position, and the fish was swimming again in 30 seconds, so no sacrilegious mishandling, but it was def good for a laugh.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Nice stuff. Pretty streams and fish. thanks for sharing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts