BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some views from the Barners on the fact that the US Government is shipping a Nerve Agent that was built during the cold war era..and is stockpiled in the midwest ...to be destroyed at the Salem County DuPont Plant and then dump it all into the Delaware River through the tubes they have that extend into the river....DuPont dumps 15 million gallons of toxic waste a day in the river already....Dupont has tested the dumping of 6 gallons of this nerve agent last week without informing anyone first...This makes me really mad....Scientists have studied the nerve agent and they believe that even after dupont treats it ...the nerve agent will come back together in it's original form once it is released into the river....What does the future of the Delaware River Stripers look like?
...I know i caught more then a few this year with questionable bumps and abbrasions...what are we doing to our own backyard and how can we stop it?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
gonefishin,
First Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard......................

I have been Following This Situation on the
DelRv.for a while now..Here is the link:
Del.Rv./Nerve GasThere is also a Link
to sign a petition to stop this dumping in
the thread.Check It Out.
Dumping Petition
I can't see it helping the Striped Bass Populatoin
in the River/Bay etc..Let's Hope It Can Be
Handled in a Different way...

Thx,,

[ 05-14-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and link NIGHTSTIKES....I signed the petition and am going to get everyone I can to sign it also.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Half Of Chesapeake Stripers Infected

CLAIBORNE, MD?Biologists believe at least half of the striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay carry Mycobacterium marinum, an organism that causes "fish handler's disease" in humans.
I had posted this some time ago.
I would NOT eat any Bass that did not look perfect.

This dumping is only one of God knows how many that we do not know about.
What can be done? I have no idea. Close ALL chemical plants near ANY flowing water?
Get some Government group FUNDED BY THE CHEMICAL COMPANIES MAY work.

The disease was first documented by Maryland scientists in 1998. They now estimate it's spread to 50 percent of stripers in some areas of the bay. The Virginia Institute of Marine Science, however, estimates 76 percent are infected.

Human symptoms include swelling and joint stiffness. Consult your doctor if symptoms persist.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Funny how Dupont has been selling off their consumer products divisions. They sold off Stren and Remington then they sold the stainmaster carpet and now they are getting into highly profitable waste disposal. But most of us are invested in Dupont. 401k, mutual funds, etc. Maybe we as sportsmen should start encouraging our investment folks that we dont like what is happening to the Bay. This resource is much to important both in historic, economic and enviromental reasons to dispose of these wastes. Not just the VX the load of other crap that plant is disposing into the river every day. We are lucky that they proposed the VX. It is bringing this plant into public scrutiny. Gee I never heard of this before and I am apalled that bought and paid for politicians let this stuff happen. The only reason they do this is to save money. No wonder we got warninigs not to eat the fish. They knew what we didn't. What ever happened to Yucca Mountain. I think the desert be the most logical place. Why cant they neutrilize it there ?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Look to your politicians. How much money do you think DuPont gives to the local/fed politicians personally and in the form of PAC's as well as through lobbying efforts. They have the money to wine and dine these people who are probably eating chilean sea bass. In Pennsylvania, some of this can be found online. http://www.pacampaigns.com/

For example,
Name Contribution To Party Employer Contribution Date
DUPONT GOOD GOV'T. FUND
BOX 80268
WILMINGTON, DE 19880 DEWEESE, BILL CAMPAIGN COM DEM
1000.00 06/17/2003

DUPONT GOOD GOVERNMENT FUND
BOX 1
WILMINGTON, DE MADIGAN, ROGER PEOPLE FOR REP
500.00 08/04/2003

DuPont Good Government Fund
601 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004 PICKETT, TINA FRIENDS OF REP
250.00 08/22/2003

DuPont Good Government Fund
Unknown
Wilmington, DE PICKETT, TINA FRIENDS OF REP
1000.00 08/22/2003

BTW, who is the "DuPont good gov fund".. http://www.lcv.org/news/NewsPrint.cfm?ID=1563&c=26

Follow the money trail And the fed contract awards. Some good news...they had this story on the news last night, so maybe the general public will get on this train to stop it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts