BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just contacted by a Company called Nu-Ice with a very interesting product.

They claim it can keep sub freezing temperatures for up to 96 hours and is reusable..

Im in the process of doing an apples to apples comparison using 1 2lb Nu-Ice Bag and 2lbs of regular ice, both will be in a 13qt Engel cooler.

These bags are available in 2lb bags for $14.95 each and 5lb bags for $24.95

Heres more info,

Developed in 2009 for the medical field, Nu-Ice technology has become a leader in the cold shipping industry. Our products have been engineered to maintain stringent temperature parameters set by the manufactures’ to ensure product integrity during shipping. Pharmaceutical Companies, Hospitals, Food Packaging and the US Military have all turned to this technology for solutions.
After months of market research and overwhelming response at the recent Fort Lauderdale Boat show, Nu-Ice is proud to introduce our new line of retail freezer packs. Driven by uncompromised performance, our team has developed a new product to meet the demands of the outdoor and recreational market. The Marine Pak is an excellent alternative to both ice and dry ice, creating a safe, cold, dry space for the sportsmen’s coolers and fish boxes. * Additionally, Nu-ice ensures your shipped catch, no matter what the weight, arrives home fresh, without the expense and hazard of dry-ice or inefficiencies of standard gel packs.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I have a friend in the medical field who gave me a few similar packs to use last Fall and they work great. They came in "medical" wrapping, not "marine" wrapping, but I would imagine it is the same stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
maybe i am missing something.

we usually have about 400 lbs of ice on the boat + an ice maker for a normal canyon trip. so if i wanted to buy 400 lbs of this stuff it will cost me $2000. granted, i can use it again (if it doesnt get busted up) but i will also have to clean all of the bags very well at the end of the trip and then haul this stuff back to the freezers and then back to the boat for the next trip. furthermore, most people will probably have to buy a chest freezer to store the stuff and also incur a monthly cost to run the freezer.

let me know how this propsition goes but i am gonna sit this one out.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

we usually have about 400 lbs of ice on the boat + an ice maker for a normal canyon trip. so if i wanted to buy 400 lbs of this stuff it will cost me $2000. granted, i can use it again (if it doesnt get busted up) but i will also have to clean all of the bags very well at the end of the trip and then haul this stuff back to the freezers and then back to the boat for the next trip. furthermore, most people will probably have to buy a chest freezer to store the stuff and also incur a monthly cost to run the freezer.

Probably isn't worth it for you but what about the guy who buys a couple bags of ice once a week

·
Registered
865 Posts
Really depends on how well it keeps things cold IMO i mean if its a straight comparison 5 lb bag to 5 pounds of ice then idk but if a 5lb bag is comparible to idk 10 lbs of ice then it could be really practical will have to wait and see.

Let me know how it works joe!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jay,

Does it replace 200lbs of ice? Maybe not, But keep an open mind.. Striper season, Fluken, Sea Bass, In your Ballyhoo bait box, Lunch, Transporting the Tuna and not having to use the bloody ice in the cooler..:huh:

·
Registered
881 Posts
A couple companies I order products from and I save them and reuse them for fishing. They do work very well and keep colder longer than conventional ice. They are not cost effective as others have already mentioned. You could purchase your own dry ice a lot cheaper but you'd just have to seal it up real good to prevent any water from getting on it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
this sounds expensive and pia to clean bags if used for fish.lunch cooler would be nice cause it stays dry but add chemical base product still scares me .can see it now kid says i WAS SO THIRSTY KILLED THAT WHOLE JUICE POUCH IT WAS TERRIBLE .TEEN-AGE=STUPID EVEN THOUGH i CAN'T DO HIS HOMEWORK.Keep us posted on how well it takes off.thanks Joe

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I can see where it could come in handy for a guy hauling his handful of ling fillets from his half day headboat trip home.

They wouldn't work for me, I keep my customers catch in a large brine tank. No gel pack is gonna protect your catch as well as putting them in an ice brine. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Joe, it looks like a winner. It will be great for smaller applications. Transporting a couple fillets, lunch boxes, etc. When cost comes down it will be used even more. Whats wrong with having to wash off the ice packs after you are done using them??? I spend couple hours washing boat, coolers, and all tackle and equipment down after a day of fishing, what is 5 more seconds to wash off reuseable ice packs??????? plus they look small enough to fit easily in freezer. We save ours out of the medical packings we receive, they work great. As Procrastinator said, hard to beat a salt brine.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Joe, it looks like a winner. It will be great for smaller applications. Transporting a couple fillets, lunch boxes, etc. When cost comes down it will be used even more. Whats wrong with having to wash off the ice packs after you are done using them??? I spend couple hours washing boat, coolers, and all tackle and equipment down after a day of fishing, what is 5 more seconds to wash off reuseable ice packs??????? plus they look small enough to fit easily in freezer. We save ours out of the medical packings we receive, they work great. As Procrastinator said, hard to beat a salt brine.
I agree.. I can see my self using them in my Ballyhoo bait cooler, my inshore trips, Lunch cooler and transporting my filets home in a smaller cooler..

What I'm really curious about is whether the cooler will hold a lower temp then regular ice and how long will it hold that cold temp... We shall see!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
iCE

Joe,
I will need a pretty large glasss to fit one of those in my Rum AND COKE OR MY SCOTCH. I have used them before and they really work good. You can also use them in combination with ice and it stays colder a lot longer. Great for bally ho trays with no water to slosh around.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
interested in this item and will be following this thread closely
I used them a few times already.. they work best when used with ice because it will make the ice last 3x longer.

when you put it in a warm cooler, it blows its charge trying to bring the temp down to an almost sub freezing temp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Know a guy who would fill 2qt soda bottles with water and freeze them had (25 plus bottles)...he had a cooler at dockside and after every trip he would hose them off and throw them back in freezer...worked great....water was ice cold in fish locker

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I had a friend in the medical field give me some of these and they work great, I think like Joe said mixed in with ice is the best application. we just dunk them in the soap bucket when done with them and hose them off.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They recently came out with one that is not a sub zero product that is most likely better for the fishing application... The 1st ones they came out with would try to freeze what ever was in the cooler.. If the cooler was warm, It would blow its charge trying to bring it down to temp...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As Joe said above. They have a special sub zero freezer for the medical ones. I have used the medical ones for years but they are not very tough. They puncture easy and after a while they loose there ability to stay frozen more than a few hrs. I use them in the lunch box for work so they last for a good amout of time. They would definately be great for transporting you cut catch home and for the baitbox. I thought if they could put that stuff in something tougher though they would last a long time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.