BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cleaned up all the wires and connections in the bilge area and im looking to put in two new batteries. i have a 2002 150hp johnson, ff, gps,windlass stereo, radio, lights two bildge pumps. i had two ever starts from walmart, they are the shorter batteries, going with the larger size about 2 inches longer. both batteries were cranking and trolling. should i stay with that, had no probs before.the old batts woukld be on their 5th season and i was not holding good charge at the end of the season. i do have an onboard charger that gets plugged in at the slip.couldnt find much doing a search here for the best suggested brands. thanks bb

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Another vote for Deka here. If you see a sale at West Marine, theie batteries are made by the makers of Deka (East Penn Mfg.) and seem to give the same great service.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I love DEKA, but I can say that AC Delco Maintence Free sealed batteries are better. I have owned them both over the years. I had DEkA on my 37 Bert and they lasted 4 years. So I went back to Delco because the last set I had lasted 8 years. I got the industrial Marine version. They are awesome. Check out AC Delco website.

·
Registered
776 Posts
More important than mfg. is, one cranking batt, and one deep cycle, or combo, with your motor due to low crank amps, you can do 2 combo deep cycle/starting batts. Can upgrade to AGM batts, but need to check and monitor charge rate, so you do not boil them out...
Ultimate setup IMO, DC/ST combo, and a pair of 6volt Golf cart batts as house, will give you 110AH, at 20amps, net 5+ hours drawing 20 amps...
BTW go to led spreaders, will be able to cut amp/hr to 1/4
Welcome to call for questions.
Capt. Rich

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I love DEKA, but I can say that AC Delco Maintence Free sealed batteries are better. I have owned them both over the years. I had DEkA on my 37 Bert and they lasted 4 years. So I went back to Delco because the last set I had lasted 8 years. I got the industrial Marine version. They are awesome. Check out AC Delco website.
I agree 150% Delco Voyager's kick butt, but they are tough to find.. Any Chevy dealer can get them.. They will have to order them, which is good. They should be fresh....brings up another point I tend to harp on.. Learn to read battery date codes... Never buy anyones battery that is more then 2-3 months old.. If you do check them first. If they are not sitting at 12.6 volts or better don't buy them.. A red hot fresh batt should be 12.7... Buying batts that have been sitting on a dealer shelf for months is the biggest reason why they fail...

Now if you want talk nasty batts.. That Cabelas 24 series batt I bought last year sits at 13.1 volts.. Even after I left it sit for 4 months the 4 amp batt charger in the boat topped it off in less than 5 minuites. In 20 degree weather it spins that V6 Yam I have over like it's nothing.. I think I'm going to grab another one this spring..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree 150% Delco Voyager's kick butt, but they are tough to find.. Any Chevy dealer can get them.. They will have to order them, which is good. They should be fresh....brings up another point I tend to harp on.. Learn to read battery date codes... Never buy anyones battery that is more then 2-3 months old.. If you do check them first. If they are not sitting at 12.6 volts or better don't buy them.. A red hot fresh batt should be 12.7... Buying batts that have been sitting on a dealer shelf for months is the biggest reason why they fail...

Now if you want talk nasty batts.. That Cabelas 24 series batt I bought last year sits at 13.1 volts.. Even after I left it sit for 4 months the 4 amp batt charger in the boat topped it off in less than 5 minuites. In 20 degree weather it spins that V6 Yam I have over like it's nothing.. I think I'm going to grab another one this spring..

Had 5 problem-free seasons on well cared for Interstate DC24s, but think it's time for replacements. Looked into the Cabelas based on your trusted advise. Turns out the AGMs are currently on sale for $120 (+$8 for surplus shipping weight). If spending over $150, standard shipping is free saving $17. Thanks once again Dunk.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Had 5 problem-free seasons on well cared for Interstate DC24s, but think it's time for replacements. Looked into the Cabelas based on your trusted advise. Turns out the AGMs are currently on sale for $120 (+$8 for surplus shipping weight). If spending over $150, standard shipping is free saving $17. Thanks once again Dunk.
Yeah, when I got that Cabelas batt I tried charging it and my electronic charger wouldn't touch it. The fully charged light just came on. It reads voltage and said 13.5 volts. So I checked it with my volt meter and got 13.6 volts.. When I'm running in the boat the 150 Yam keeps it at 14.2 volts, but it does the same with the Motorcraft Ford Batt I have there. I got stuck with a few auto batts in the last two years so I'm using one in the boat..

The only thing I don't like about the Cabelas batts are the size of the terminal connection bolts.. That and they are made in China....

·
Registered
246 Posts
We are a Mercury repower Center and we use only Dekka. This is a good quality battery that will work well for you. If you are in Williamstown stop by King Marine and see Dean he is an authorized dealer there. If you are here at the shore we are located in Rio Grande behind the Walmart.

Cape Harbor Marine Service LLC
Premier Mercury Outboard Repower Center
Tidewater,Venture, Sealion and LoadRite Trailers
www.capeharbormarine.com
609-889-0911
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for the advice, i hav econtacted barnicle bills and he is going to get me what i need . thanks bb

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
we run over 100 trucks where i work, and they're all dekka. but we seem to be replacing them an often. but i honestly think its the maintenance or lack of that kills them. then again these new trucks are all electronically controlled

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.