BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have added a new fall striper trip to our schedule this fall. We plan to leave late afternoons and bunker chunk on the Delaware Bay for the really big stripers 20-50 lbs. at night.
These will be very similar to spring Black Drum trips. We hope to avoid all the boat traffic by fishing at night compared to day time fall fishing. We will limit the trips to one fish per man over 30 lbs and no bonus tags will be allowed on the bigger female fish. We have a heated cabin for your comfort on cool fall evenings and will run this trips starting around the full moon October 17 thru November 16 full moon. Departure time wil be about 3:00 pm and 6 hour and 8 hour trips are available. We will also be running day striper trips leaving around 5:00 am on the rips or chunking up the Bay. 8 and 10 hour combo trips where we chunk for the big stripers plus spend half the time fishing the rips for the smaller but more abundant stripers. Call or e-mail us for more detailed information. We have been striper fishing for over 30 years now going back to the early 70's and so we know how to catch them.
Capt John

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to add that for the really hard core striper fishing folks we will do all night trips chunking trips the Delaware Bay and will allow the legal limit including bonus tags. In addition to a heated cabin we have a microwave for warm food and hot coffee will be provided on all our evening trips. We will schedule this longer night trips to meet the best departure time for the charter.
Capt John

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Congadulations Captains!!!

Great idea! The right place and the right time for a client to tie into a true trophy bass...
And what I like best about your post is the "No TROPHY TAG"! Conservation is all of our responsibility. WAY TO GO!! I am sure you will have an excellent season. Best regards to you. See you out there.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RuddeDogg: Very simple. Use your bonus tags on other charters and private boats and on the smaller male fish in he 34-40 inch range but not on the bigger female breaders. I do not keep any large females personally when fun fishing and take a picture and throw them back. I also use all circle hooks to help the fish have a better chance to survive. One trophy striper per person over 30 lbs is all we want to kill on our boat. Killing 6 fish on one trip is enough in my opinion
A little side bar: I lived in Narragansett, RI in the ealry 70's when big stripers were everywhere. My father had two 60 lb fish one day fishing Cuttyhunk and he did not even take pictures unless they were over 40 lbs. The locals used to catch over a 1000 lbs on one tide fishing Point Judith breakwater. It was fantastic fishing, block Island, Newport and Westerly beaches at night ect you name it. Guess what? By the ealry 80's if you caught two fish over 40 lbs in a whole season you were lucky. That is why I do not want to kill and excessive amount of big females. By the way, Know one I knew in Rhode Island ate stripers in those days and we all preferred cod or haddock which was $.10 a lb at the local fish markets. When I look back what a waste of a great fish just to show off to your buddies how many cows you could kill on a trip. I stand firm on my beliefs. I want our new grandson, Luke to be able to catch stripers when he grows up. Each of us are free to do what ever they please within the legal limits but this is how our boat operates when it comes to killing big females.
Capt John

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks Capt John.....
I was just curious. Thanks for the info. Sounds like great trips are planned.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi Capt, John, I recently read an article that claims that all of the larger(50 +) bass are basically done reproducing. The article kind of set me back with everything that we have been taught.. Have you seen anything that could either prove or refute this? Also, can you e-mail me a price list for the night trips. Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never heard of that before. I thought they reproduced all their lives with the larger the fish the more eggs it produces. The trip costs are now on our web page at www.cavemansportfishing.com on charter rate pricing.
Dr. Bass: All our trips are priced based on 6 people and it costs us almost as much if there are 2 or 6. If we fish generally around Brandywine up to the 14 foot light we could probably do a two person 6-7 hour chunking trip for around $550.00
but only on a weekday. I'm sure that there are some other fine boats that might be a little cheaper for just two if $550.00 is to expensive.
Capt John

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
No problem with paying the 6 man fee

Just would rather fish by myself or with one other guy

Any openings 23,4th or 25th of October ??

How about leaving at 5 or 6 pm ??

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
DB, Are you coming up?
Give me some dates.
Let's hit the surf one afternoon into evening!
e-mail me!

[ 09-29-2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Bgsdad ]

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Yes Bruce

23rd-26th

Just might be on the Delaware one of those nights

Let's hook-up, The skiff and 28 Scout are ready to go for some Cape May County fishing, will e-mail ya

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.