BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about this? Apparently the USCG rebuilt a fence topped w/razor wire near their station that will make it hard for wading fishermen. I've never been to Sandy Hook, but I was planning on visiting it in June. Any insights?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yes, the Sandy Hook Station recently put up a fence starting at the fishermans walk on access trail from the dune line down to the high tide line. Also posted are signs that prohibited access to the Rip and the point at Sandy Hook, an area that fishermen, surfers and nature lovers have had access to for over 25 years. There is a large group effort attempting to fight this issue and have access restored. There is a online petition at stripersonline that can be signed. We are also placing JCAA petitions in various stores that support the movement. You should also send letters to your representatives.

I have copies of letters that can be sent...all you need to do is put them in the mail. You can email me at [email protected] and I will send them to you. Also if you know of a business that would allow a petition to be placed in their store, let me know as I can email you that as well.

It is important whether you fish or utilize this area or not, that we fight this. As if we allow a portion of a national park to be closed without a fight, it paves the way for any private developer, township to attempt to do the same.

Phil L

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
There is bigtime action going on as we speak to get that fence ripped down. I fish there a lot and I hope that the actions being take get it ripped down.

The CG didnt apply for permits :D Duh!!!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Sad to hear. Every year you have to fight for either access, right to fish, whatever. The days of pure fun are gone. Today you have to get envolved and fight for your right to fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you guys are interested i know of a website that has started up a petition to get our access to the rip back i wont mention the site without the bass barns permission but if you guys want email me and ill be glad to send you a link the more support we can get on this the better ,i think we might have our backs aginst the wall on this one

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The fence is being moved but access to the point is still not there as there are signs in place that say no tresspassing...so the fence may be coming down but we still havent got our access back.

It is imperative that people send letters to their representatives...I have written letters that can be put in the mail.....all you need is a stamp and envelope....it takes five minutes to do. If you care about accessing the beach to fish, surf or just spend time there....email me at [email protected] and I will send you those letters....

If we sit back and allow this to happen without a fight, you will only see it get worse in the future...

Phil L

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Phil is correct - just read about the no tresspassing signs - I sent the letters - and if the letters dont work I'm fishing there anyway.

I'll put on my waders and walk in the water :D

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Actually the letter did work Brian. Congressman Pollone actually wrote a letter to the CG requesting they take down the fence. He also is setting up meeting with Park officials, CG, and select members from different fishing organizations. I trying to get in on this. Anyway I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Looks like access has been restored! Thats a good thing...can you imagine a big set of waves coming in and tearing that fence apart sending wraps of barbed wire down the beach to then get buried in the sand for some little kid to dig up this summer??? WOW! Coming from the US coast guard....thats BAD!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts