BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Fin~Nor has recently come out with a new series of conventional reels called the Marquesa in sizes #12, #16, #20, #20T, #30 & #30T....(the "T" reels have a top bar and adjustable clicker tension, the others are open top with single set clicker tension)
While in Tackle Direct last week I got to see the #12, it appears to be a very well made, solid lever drag reel, not to mention it looks great....

Has anyone had the opportunity to catch a fish on one of these reels yet, and if so what are your thoughts on them......???

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
We used them on my boat last summer for bluefin. On my website there is a video of the reel in action. They are getting set to ship them as we write. Good reel, held up well on those big BFT we had last year. I believe it was the 20 size we used. I may be replacing my OFC20L's which absolutely are the nuts as a star drag reel with them this year so we will have the advantage of a lever drag.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We used them on my boat last summer for bluefin. On my website there is a video of the reel in action. They are getting set to ship them as we write. Good reel, held up well on those big BFT we had last year. I believe it was the 20 size we used. I may be replacing my OFC20L's which absolutely are the nuts as a star drag reel with them this year so we will have the advantage of a lever drag.

Thanks Capt. Steve....:thumbsup:

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for the 7' Penn graphite conventional I have, was thinking about the #16, but that reel might be a little big for the rod and what I'll be using it for, so I may just get the #12.....(I'll just have to figure out how to keep the C.C. charge from the wife....;) )

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i have 2 of the old ahab spinners from when it was fin nor --they have no problems at all
purchased the new fin nor (zebco) ahab 16 last season in june
blew the reel up twice in 6 wks. fluke jigging with bucktails
after talking with the tech supervisor he recommended i replace with a cabo 40 which because they own that co. also, was free of charge
service good --quality so/so
maybe they built the conventionals better--but after buying their $250.00 flagship spinner
i have to wonder

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have 2 of the old ahab spinners from when it was fin nor --they have no problems at all
purchased the new fin nor (zebco) ahab 16 last season in june
blew the reel up twice in 6 wks. fluke jigging with bucktails
after talking with the tech supervisor he recommended i replace with a cabo 40 which because they own that co. also, was free of charge
service good --quality so/so
maybe they built the conventionals better--but after buying their $250.00 flagship spinner
i have to wonder
I have 2 of the older American Made Ahab spinners that have worked flawlessly for many years, last year I picked up one of the Offshore star drag reels, and it has been a great reel that pulled many hard fighting Tog over the rail. No matter what brand you're going to have a lemon come off the line from time to time.
I've seen more Shimano reels of all types come apart on guys than any other brand, yet there's plenty of guys here at the Barn who swear by them......:huh:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the hook and got one....

Stopped back into Tackle Direct today and took a second look at the Fin~Nor Marquesa 12 they had. This time I brought in the rod I was looking to mount this reel on....(7' Penn International).... Perfect fit....a little mono backer, then filled the spool with #50 Red Power-Pro.
I'm hoping to try this rod & reel out next month on an off shore Tog trip.....

Now to figure out how to hide the C.C. charge from the wife.....:eek: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.