1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
A Friday opening day? Interesting.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Welcome to the Barn. Sounds good. What is the source of this news?

·
Registered
32,507 Posts
8 is a lot of fish. Even 5 would be plenty. 10 filets a person per day. That would be 60 filets for 3 guys fishing Saturday and Sunday. Seems like enough. Better than the same 3 guys killing 48 fish a weekend.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I hate to say it... but what the heck!

IMHO the season starts too late, and unfortunatly, we are all so happy to get a "status quo" on a year to year basis that nobody is b*tch*n. Monster fluke will be in the bay more than a month before opening,.... and I will be throwing them back instead of throwing them in the cooler.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and I may be... but didn't NJ coming in under target just bail NY's season out of the fire... aren't we entitled to a longer season if we underharvested our allocation last year (which is still not Rec/Comm 50/50).

I'd much rather see 6 at the same size for a longer season.... and is the Comm limit still 14"? How many backbay guys are actually catching 6 keepers each in July and August anyway? Let them get out there earlier and hammer a few doormats before most of them move out deep....or give us a couple more weeks on the back end for some of those inshore flatties...

[ 03-04-2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
lots of fisherpeople. cant make everyone happy.
do you limit out every time out evry one on the boat?.i certainly didnt. i dont keep any flounder under 17 inch but thats me.i dont complain about the 16 1/2 size. if my kids catch a 16 1/2 it stays in the boat.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
excerpt from Al Ristori's column in the Newark Star Ledger;

Fluke regulations will be about the same as last year. Pat Donnelly of Point Pleasant said the Marine Fisheries Council accepted the position of its advisors that it's best to adopt a conservative status quo rather than taking a chance on overfishing this year by using last year's underage in landings to extend the season. Donnelly said the season opens May 26 and runs through Oct. 9, with the same eight-fish limit at a 16 1/2-inch minimum. Donnelly has also been working to allow the use of fluke belly strips for bait, but that change must be incorporated into the multispecies regulations and it will be at least Jan. 1, 2007 before it may become legal.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, and I may be... but didn't NJ coming in under target just bail NY's season out of the fire... aren't we entitled to a longer season if we underharvested our allocation last year (which is still not Rec/Comm 50/50).
Ok FM Tuna, your wrong! The addendum that passed at the ASMFC only involved those states that had already set their quotas. NJ had not set ours yet. NJMFC set our season using the same reasoning that we have used for several years now. It is our intention not to have to increase restrictions in the following year due to overharvesting. It is the conservative approach. We did not want to increase the season this year only to have to have an even shorter season in 2007. Had the quota not been cut from 33 million to 23 million we probably would have had a longer season.

6 fish would only extend the season for a couple of days. The biggest savings is in the size limit, followed by the season and then the bag limit.

Al Ristori is also WROMG! May 6th is the correct opening date.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Just proofread what I wrote below... can't believe it got so long.. my apologies for the long read...

Seabear, let me begin by saying how much I appreciate all the work that the volunteers and appointees do in the entire fisheries managment scheme.. I am not being politally correct, I sincerly mean it.

If I am wrong about the timing of the decision of the NJMFC, it will not be the first time I am wrong, nor the last. But in principle, am I all that wrong?

Riddle me this....

Is the allocation still 60/40... is the commercial size limit still 14".. weren't the options to increase the season, increase the bag limit or decrease the size viable choices based on underharvesting in NJ and other states..... choices that were not exercised?

Isn't NJ, by maintaining Status quo, absorbing a disproportionate part of the coastwide reduction required as a result of the decrease in quota?

And if the entire coastline overharvests a reduced quota in 2006, isn't NJ going to have to suffer a shorter season, lower bag or lower size in 2007 as part of another coastwide reduction?

You did yank a little piece of what I said out of context, and made your point... I still humbly stand behind mine. The season is too short, the commercial ratio is not fair, the commercial size limit should be the same as the recreational size limit, and (a point which I omitted in my first post) the system of measuring the actual take by any one fisherman, let alone a state or the entire coastline is a statistical comedy that no High School math teacher would give a passing grade to.

I am not hanging these problems on anyone in particular (with the exception of those that remain silent when they know something should be done)... we all need to accept ownership of these issues if they are to be solved....join an organization, go scream at a meeting, write your congressman...

Me, I think if NJ came in under last year, we should get relief this year.... I just can't see NY or Conn. coming to bail us out down the road...

[ 03-05-2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to take your statement out of context.

The only other option besides status quo that the State submitted to the ASMFC at was extending the season. That would have put us at just under a 10% increase. Decreasing the size limit would have put us way over that 10% threshold limit.

The allocation is still 60/40 but that is not changable by NJ. That can only be changed by NMFS and the ASMFC.

The coast wide quota for commercial and recreational has been reduced. The commerical side in NJ will be seeing a reduction in catch this year. Each state has it's own percentage of that quota based on historical participation. We do not manage fluke on a coast wide basis, although NY and a few other states would like to see it that way. The reduction/increase for each state is different and based on what that state caught in the previous year according to the MRSS study. I couldn't agree with you more about the usefullness of the MRSS. The question is "what can we do to change that?" The RFA and other organizations are working on that problem.

As for the relief this year, we would have had more breathing room if NMFS and the ASMFC didn't reduce the quota from 33 million (where is was anticipated to be) to 23 million. I guess our reward for underharvesting is that we didn't have to face any reductions. If we had harvested our quota we probably would have been looking at a reduction.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation... truly appreciate having a better understanding..

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I usually take 3-4 nice sized ones 20"+ and throw back the rest of the keepers. I don't like cleaning fish for hrs....but thats me. I like the regs as they are ....heck I still have fillets in the freezer....but then again...I get out a few times a week. For the guys who only get out once in a while and like cleaning fish...go for it :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts