BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to striper fishing. Out of the 10 or so times I have gone out for stripers almost all of them were trolling in the Chesapeake. I fished the Raritan once last year launching out of Keyport. I didn't feel comfortable in my boat so this year I have a new one. I am looking for reccomendations on where to launch in spring, bait shops, and places to fish. I would like to get out 4-5 times this spring during the week. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appriciated!

·
Registered
233 Posts
leonardo, atlantic highlands, two pretty good places to launch and they have several good bait and tackle shops.good luck and tight lines to ya.

[ 03-25-2006, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: bluestriper ]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Steve,like bluestriper said but also Keyport has 3 ramps.Keyport Marine Basin,Wagners,and the public ramp.Bait shops Crabbys in Keyport on west front st.& Keyport Marine basin.If you can get last Mays NEW JERSEY ANGLER you will be set.Good Luck Harry

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seawaren is another ramp in the back and you can travel through alot of spring bunker on the way out. The ramps ok if you get there early and plan to fish the back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The back of the bay is where the early season bass'en will heat up first. I would launch in sea waren. If you looking for a crew, I'm game

·
Registered
138 Posts
Steve , I am out of At Highlands if you ever need a report the night befor give me a call. Also if you see me on the water flag me down and I will give you a barn sticker for your boat, there are a good amount of Barners fishing those waters!!!!!

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
If you decide to launch out of wagners or marine basin, keep in mind that its a fixed bridge between you and the bay. W/ a t top or any other kind of fixed structure on the boat may not make it under the bridge at high tide. I use marine basin all the time and find the area easy to assess on the ny side of the bay. The town dock is fine to use but the area around the ramp itself is shallow at low tide. But at that ramp you can get out to the bay w/ less time involved and be in perth amboy at the triangle in no time. Early in the yr look for the bunker back in perth amboy and as the season progresses look for them closer to and in great kills area. If you fiqure on catching the bunker to live line, in perth amboy they tend to stay in the main channels and you'll need to snag them. As they show up towards great kills, a cast net would be of greater use. The water is shallower there.
Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
Steve,
I personally like atlantic highlands. Leonardo is very shallow at low tide. From AH virtually all good fishing is within easy reach in your boat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are relatively new to the area than I would Highly recomend the Atlantic Highlands municipal launch ramp.

It's big enough for 5 boats to launch at once, there's plenty of water, the ramp is not too steep, there's plenty of room to tie up. Fuel dock is right there, tackle shop is right there.

You don't have to worry about shallow water anywhere near the ramp. Essentially the AH ramp is worry free. Once you've had a chance to learn your way around I would then maybe try some of those other places if you felt you needed to.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Steve,

I've had a slip over at the Highlands and in the area for over 20 years besides Cape May even though I never used the ramp a lot of my friends have. Listen to the guys it's your best bet. There's a lot of good fishing up in this area Stripers, Blues, Weaks, Flukes, Flounders and a lot more. If I had a samller boat and didn't run offshore as much that's were my boat would be Good Luck!!!!

Herb
Sensation

[ 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: HS ]

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sometimes in the early season I launch from Keyport Marine Basin. That puts you close to the action. Later I launch at Atlantic Highlands marina. Another option I just checked out would be to launch from Great Kills park. If you launch and return in daylight hours it's free. If you come back after dark your going to need a season parking permit for $50. Can only buy it Friday to Monday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM right at the park. You can snag or net all the bunker you want on the way out and be fishing in about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Liberty Harbor marina, Jersey city this would put you into the New york city harbor action. and the varrassano bridge is only 2 miles away.

But as stated earlyer the sping bite has been better in that keyport back bay area.

My freind who fishes there caught more fish in the spring than I and I'm a better fisherman! But come mid summer I caught up and by fall I slautered him with striper catches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts