BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

This is my first post as I have been lurking for just over a year now. I got hooked on freezin my a** off and getting wind burn for these crazy fish a two years ago. While out offshore on our boat we ran into a blitz of stripers in early October after we drifted through the slick of a clam boat. Some nice size stripers later, we were on our way to buying a new boat and having our gals thinking we are seeing other women b/c of our early morning exits at 3am
Unfortunately, I pretty much suck now, I have caught no keepers in over a year. I learn every time I go out but cannot seem to land a good. This season I have gotten my heart ripped out Indiana Jones Temple of Doom style.
Tomorrow night may be our last boat trip of the year, I live in bucks county, Pa so it is hard to get the fresh bait some of you use. We are planning on chumming clam in Ocean City.
I am beggiin for help, anything, any spots, best time to set up and start chumming, anything, this is my distress call

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
SB,

Welcome to the Barn.

I would call one of the many Barn sponsors and reserve some bait. They will have a better idea of what is happening and where the best bite is taking place.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
There are so many techniques from very good fishermen on the barn its just a matter of picking one that you think will be best for your style.

Chunkin in the pond I suck at for some ungoddly reason but put clam bellies in the boat I'll smoke the fish but nothing of great size along the beach front or the pond

eels and bucktails in the rips and again one seems to do better on one size than the other. At times the bucktail action is good on small to slot fish and the eels catch the slots and over 34". The rips are a science to learn in itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob ECT

The last couple of weeks we have stayed in the bay. Last Saturday was ridiculous out front, the winds had the surf so kicked up we were basically just tryin to find a place where we could get the line to the bottom
Thanks for the help so far guys, how do you call and reserve bait? that would be great if it possible to pay for some bait and then pick it up in the morning. From what I hear, as far as bait goes, No Bones clam bellies seem to be the way to go, but since i live in PA it is hard to get the bait when you are fishing dark and early

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Slowly,
Welcome to the Barn,
Check out The Girls Place and Haases for bait.
They are both not very far off of Rt 55 and are open at 5am.

Fresh bait and patience are key.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey slowly.

Give me a call at No Bones 609-522-3017 and we can set something up. Will be picking up fresh bellies this morning.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
slowly balding,

WELCOME TO THE BARN!!!

Good luck with your hunt for a keeper!!! ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, I panicked last night and went out and bought 5 quarts of fresh frozen clam from Sport Fishin Outlet on Germantown Pike.
Special thanks to Fred, If I am able to make it to your shop then I will be sure to call you so that we can set something up.

Tight lines for all this weekend

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Originally posted by slowly balding:
Thanks for the help everyone, I panicked last night and went out and bought 5 quarts of fresh frozen clam from Sport Fishin Outlet on Germantown Pike.
Special thanks to Fred, If I am able to make it to your shop then I will be sure to call you so that we can set something up.

Tight lines for all this weekend
Harry has a lot of stuff considering he is 80 miles from the ocean...

·
Registered
102 Posts
We chartered two years ago out of OC and the guy went in the rough water right outside the inlet.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Welcome slowly. What they said! Call most bait stores, and reserve bunker. As far as spots, good luck!!! Are you trailering or at a marina? Best thing I can say for spots is just about anywhere in the bay will work. Find a drop and fish the "downside". Main thing is TOTW. OK, time on the water! Persistance WILL pay off. Try differant methods. You'll hit em sooner or later. Go over some of the threads in this and other forums for ideas. Good luck, VAL

·
Registered
492 Posts
IM STILL WAITING TO CATCH MY FIRST STRIPER OF THE SEASON HERE IN OC, IT SUCKS !!!! FISH CAPE MAY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts