BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and her boyfriend got me a tying kit from Cabela's for Christmas. So, yesterday I was in vineland and stopped at a tackle shop and got supplies for tying skirts on rivet heads for fluke fishing. Got red thread, rivet heads, bucktail, glue etc. Decided this morning to give it a go.

First thing I noticed was that the rivets were way smaller than what my buddy JCrole uses to tie me stuff. They are very difficult to work with, but that is all the shop had. Second thing I discovered was that the red thread I bought was actually some kind of ribbon stuff. :( I was looking for bucktail that is a cross between pink and purple, I forget the name of the color.
I then went to the local big box sport shop and found red thread. Unfortunately, it is too thin to put any pressure on and breaks immediately.
I ended up raiding my daughters sewing kit for red thread.

Tried for 15 minutes to thread the thread into the tube of the bobbin before I decided I needed to make a special tool. I then discovered that such a tool was included in the kit.

I was trying to clear glue from the hole in the rivet with another tool with a point and dropped the tool onto my foot. I had only socks on and it hurt.

I need help. :D

1) Where do you guys get supplies from in SJ? Any Barn sponsors?

2) what size thread do I need for what I'm doing? The spool that was too thin had a "70" on it.

3) What size rivet heads are optimal?

4) The glue I have is "head cement". Is this the right stuff?

5) Does one use a special jig to hold the rivets? I was using a cotter pin that I had in the vise.

Thanks for any and all replies!!

Phil

[ 03-28-2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: TWIN D'S ]

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Phil,
Perhaps you may want to come over on Wednesday and we can tie up a few??? Give me a call if this works for you.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good Frank. I'll give you a ring.

Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts