BASS BARN banner

New Herring Fisherman - Please Help

679 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rusty scupper 
#1 ·
I've been away from NJ for a while, but am an experienced Striper fisherman. I know a lot about the other ways of catching them, but I will be returning to NJ and want to get into this early season Herring thing.

1. How do YOU catch herring. (I assume sabaki rigs. Is there a limit on hooks in NJ? Not honestly sure.)

2. Do they have to be kept alive? (Yes - alive is always preferred, but can I catch a load of them and freeze them?)

3. If I can freeze them.... Do I salt them? If so How? (I would assume Salt them with Kosher salt/sea salt before freezing... BUT - do i cut them up?)

4. If dead - Do i use a whole herring?

5. What size herring am I looking for?

6. If I cut them up, is the head the best bait? Is the tail the worst?

7. Where would you recommend catching them? (Trenton makes and I take Herring???)

8. Can they be used later in the year? (Yeah, I know "Match the Hatch" but more importantly - Match my budget. If i have some frozen Herring can I use them through the summer or are the useless pretty much after the Run... Accept for sharks and skates
)

Thanks for the info

Cya
GoNavy

See less See more
#2 ·
Go Navy:

You should also put this post in the freshwater forum. The moderator, Indepth, and the other guys in that forum can tell you ALL you need to know. I think there are already a numbber of herring post there.

As to catching them. Sabikis work well. I believe NJ AND PA limit you to THREE hooks. And yes, the Trenton Makes bridge area is a good spot to catch them. Livelining them for stripers is a BLAST.

Oh and GO NOVA ('84 and 2000 here)

#3 ·
GoNavy,

Another useful tool here at the Barn to
anwser your questions is the SEARCH Function.

Type in HERRING and search in the HomePort
& Freshwater Forums and I am sure alot of
info will pop up...

Search

[ 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

#4 ·
Bob is right, three hook restriction on sabiki rigs... Cast and other nets are ok but have restrictions as well.. Check the NJ 2005 freshwater digest on the division of wildlife site for restrictions.. see you all out there. i'll probably be on the pa side in morrisville near the bridges looking for the herring this year too..

#6 ·
New Jersey regulation for number of hooks for bait fish is 9 single hooks or three treble hooks for all waters except the Delaware river where the limit is three single hooks(New Jersey fish and wildlife digest pp.7). Don't forget you need a fresh water licence also. Dan

#7 ·
1.sabiki rigs 3 hooks is the law

2.keep them alive for as long as possible. if one dies and you have an extra rod sitting around, try a nice big chunk ;)

3.kosher salt in zip lock bags 4 fish to one bag is what i do(gallon bags). also can cut them into strip baits before you freeze em, this is what i do with shad

4.you can use whole herring if dead, hook it through the nostril so there will be a better presentation in the water, once again try chunks or strips work well too

5.i dont think size matters, bait is bait,you can use the old saying "the bigger the bait the better" but it is what you prefer. i have caught fish on every size of herring

6.I found out that heads in salt water are better for stripers, if you are fishing fresh water i dont think it matters. i have had days when chunks are better than heads,and other days when heads are better than chunks.(Del. river) When i use cut baits i cut the head, one chunk and the rest is used for a strip bait. throw carcass in the water for chum

7.Trenton is good if you want to deal with alot of boat traffic. i personally dont go near the other boats simply because there is no need to, its not like the fish are only in one area

8.Use it until you run out, i use herring strips for fluke. people think i am nuts, but it works

9.NEVER FORGET YOUR FISHING LICENCE

I hope this helps

Any other questions, shoot me an email fisherfred00@yahoo.com

[ 03-03-2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: CSStriper ]

#8 ·
herring are real easy to catch my favorite spot is by the route 1 bridge. an excellent spot used to be at the fishermans warf next to katmandu night club in south trenton on the river. it has been collapsing so they have restricted fishing there. sabiki rigs are the best and try fishing the incoming tide. it slows the water enough to create feeding conditions. three hooks is the limit but ive used the 6 hook set up and never been bothered by anyone. catching 2 and 3 at a time, almost every single cast i come out with a fish. if anyone knows a good spot on the river to fish herring from shore in trenton hit me up. i have been at a loss since the warf started to collapse. now for striper try chunkin the section just behind the head, and watch that pole. nothing is wrong with catching all the bait you need for the spring seaon for free. this time of year bait can be pricey. take a girl with you they will love it because they wont have to touch any slimey worms and she could cut your time at herring in half so you can spend more time at the beach. at least that is what i do. good luck and i hope i was helpful.

#11 ·
9 hook limit for NJ waters except the Delaware River. Some conservation officers/game wardens seem to be unaware of this law. I've been approached more than a few times when fish and game officers where unsure of the written laws.
Do yourself a favor and pick up a 2005 NJ Freshwater Fisheries Digest. They are free at all local tackle shops and local Wal-Mart/K-mart etc.
3 hooks is only for the Delaware River.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.