Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW JERSEY IMPOSES EMERGENCY MORATORIUM
ON HORSESHOE CRAB HARVEST

Two-Week Ban Will Allow Late Shorebirds to Feed and Allow for Data
Review of Horseshoe Crab Population

New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner
Bradley M. Campbell today announced an emergency moratorium on the hand
harvesting of horseshoe crabs in New Jersey to allow late arriving
shorebirds time to feed on horseshoe crab eggs.

"The stunning decline in red knot numbers combined with the late
arrival of these shorebirds this year makes clear that temporary
emergency action is needed to protect these threatened natural
resources," Commissioner Campbell said. "New Jersey will do everything
in our authority to halt the decline of the red knot while protecting
the horseshoe crab population and fishery."

The emergency two-week moratorium takes effect immediately and
temporarily halts New Jersey's horseshoe crab harvest season, which
officially began yesterday. The season will reopen on June 23 and run
through the normal closing date of August 15. Fishermen will still be
permitted to catch up to the maximum 150,000-crab quota.

Surveys of the Delaware Bay noted the arrival this week of more than
3,000 red knots - critically threatened shorebirds that depend on
horseshoe crab eggs to sustain their flights to the Arctic. These birds
arrived much later in the season than usual. The temporary ban on
horseshoe crab harvesting will allow the birds unencumbered access to
feed and to proceed on their annual migration. The ban will also provide
New Jersey time to obtain and to review all available data on the status
of the Delaware Bay horseshoe crab population.

Delaware Bay's beaches are the principal egg-laying grounds for the
world's largest concentration of horseshoe crabs, and they attract the
Western Hemisphere's second largest spring concentration of migrating
shorebirds. Scientists this year have noted the lowest concentration of
horseshoe crab eggs ever on the beaches - approximately 1,500 eggs per
square meter down from approximately 4,000 eggs per square meter just
five years ago. The red knot population in Delaware Bay has declined
from 95,000 in 1989 to around 15,000 in recent years.

New Jersey is calling for the emergency federal endangered species
listing of the red knot. New Jersey will also work with Delaware to
coordinate baywide efforts to protect the populations of red knots and
horseshoe crabs. The state is also examining the possibility of
providing some financial assistance to fishermen if harvests continue to
be limited in the future.

The emergency rulemaking was filed today after Acting Governor Richard
J. Codey certified the DEP's Statement of Imminent Peril.

[ 06-24-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
AWWWW, all those poor subsistence Horseshoe crabbers.....Oh what will they do?

Looks like "Subsistence" is another word that the media has learned but does not know how to use in proper context...............How do you clean a horseshoe crab anyway.............and how do they taste...........recipies anyone?

·
Registered
233 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I NEVER KNEW THAT WAS AN OCCUPATION. WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WITH HORSESHOE CRABS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE FOR THE KIDS TO PLAY WITH ON THE BEACH. HONESTLY I DO NOT SEE AS MANY AS YEARS PAST.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Originally posted by Bawugna:

...How do you clean a horseshoe crab anyway.............and how do they taste...........recipies anyone?
Hold da tail & 2 wacks (triangular) wid a hatchet. The biggest muscle operates the tail. Then just boil/steam it just as you would crab. A crab salid works, just boil some macaroni/cellentani , chop some fresh garlic, parcley & e.v.o.o & butter (spice to taste) YUM.
Dey don't call me a snakeeater fer noddin :D

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by bbum:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I NEVER KNEW THAT WAS AN OCCUPATION. WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WITH HORSESHOE CRABS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THEY WERE FOR THE KIDS TO PLAY WITH ON THE BEACH. HONESTLY I DO NOT SEE AS MANY AS YEARS PAST.
They are used for bait for conch and eel. They are also used for medical research. Their blood has some unique qualities. The Bait fishery does the most damage though as the eggladen females seem to be a better attractant. The medical stuff....who knows.

Thanks for the recipes guys :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I saw more crabs last time out crabbing than I have seen in 10 years of crabs, they were thick.They are worried about the eggs, why not let us harvest males only all throught the season.
Bawunga, They are a natural laxative, try using them as a supository.

·
Registered
570 Posts
lol fred...
i was thinkin the same about the males... i saw tons of 'em this mornin at LOW tide on the d bay

bawugna, i beg to differ about the bait fishery doin the most damage. the beloved red knot kills way more than any fisherman could, and the gulls kill more. had to have seen 10,000 gulls on the beach this morn.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Fred & Eel I have drawn this conclusion, This has absolutely nothing to do with crabs or birds. This whole thing is a membership drive that has gotten way out of control. I really think that if there was a way that we could show all of these readers a history or chain of events, the public would start understanding what we are saying. This is 100% membership drive by the Audubon society. They want to be able to tell there people that they saved the Red Knots.

Sciences has once again been flawed, I believe it was either last week or earlier this week that 3000 red knots were counted in VA. These are the same birds that fly NON STOP around the world. I guess 3000 of them wanted to stop and watch the pony's.

This whole issue is corrupt and is a cess pool, I think it needs the worlds attention then everybody could see for themselves, just how effective special interest groups are at feed the world and it's members a plate of BS.

I think the big guns are gonna start fighting this issue. I think CG ML and FL the mad crabbers have done a excellent job fighting this they just need some Horsepower behind them.

[ 06-11-2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Fishpicker ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I have to agree with Fishpicker. These birds arnt native and they can eat nothing but Horshoecrab eggs? Dosnt make sense.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A few years ago a couple of my students were making 50 cents each for each Horseshoe crab they caught. Pretty good money.

A horseshoe crabs blood is based on Copper and not Iron like the rest of the world. It does have unique properties for medical testing.

The one thing that caught my eye was that the prisoners who were collecting them and moving the stranded ones back to the beach were picking them up by the tail. The tail is not attached strongly and if pulled out will not alow the crab to right itself if is tumbled by a wave. Result-dead crabs.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Librarian...right on the money re the medical statement but, student prisoners?....tail pulling... You are speaking with "in the field people" here. Now were you just pulling tails or just blowing smoke up tails? :D

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
The problem I see with the whole regulatory process is.... well no one really knows how many red knots, horsehoe crabs, weakfish etc etc etc are supposed to exist at any given time. Any one who claims that they know the "right amount" of a given natural population is full of BS. That alone is a damn good reason to keep an eye on the govt. The birders and eco-terrorists will have us all on the sidelines twiddling our thumbs.

·
Registered
600 Posts
twin d
i agree,the problem starts when you have some one like larry niles working for the state giving them information that is realy only his opinion, meanwhile the audubon society,which he is a member, is pushing him to stop all crab harvest, all i know for sure is that there are a whole hell of alot of horseshoe crabs this year

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by Fred81876:

Bawunga, They are a natural laxative, try using them as a supository.
Interesting.............I do not get constipated too often so I think I will pass on that suggestion..........what I would like to know however is How did YOU figure out that they have laxative qualities.............?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I have one question for Larry and his gang of bird lovers.

Why Aren't there any trawl surveys being done this year ???????

{Answer} Because last few years the trawl surveys have clearly showed that there is NOT a shortage of crabs. Last years survey suggest that there is a Estimated 18 million crabs in the Del Bay alone not counting the ocean.

In Larry's last press release he really missed led the public. One, he is now adding to the number of hand harvesters making that number over inflated. Two, he makes the statement that each harvester could potentially catch 50,000 crabs. Now Larry your either pulling numbers out of your bird or you don't have a degree in math. Did you forget that the quota is 150,000 crabs. So if your figures are correct there is no shortage or three harvesters will catch all of the crabs.

OK Larry keep going your just digging the hole deeper.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.