BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We Always hear and talk about the ultimate,
Catching The World Record Striped Bass and
dream about topping Al's 78.8lb Beast.....
And I Am One Of Them. :D

But Guys, What Do You Think About Some Other
NJ Inshore GameFish Records Being Broken In
The Near Future,Which Species Do You Think
Will Fall Sooner Then The Others...

Here Are A Few On the Books:

BlueFish 27.1lbs 1997
Fluke 19.12lbs (1953)
Weakfish 18.8lbs 1986
Tautog 25.00lbs 1998
SeaBass 8.2lbs 1994
Croaker 5.8lbs 1981
Kingfish 2.6lbs (2003)
Blk.Drum 105lbs 1995

Best Shot,I would go with is the
Northern Kingfish,past few seasons these
fish have been running bigger.New record
was just established last October also.
Croaker again some nicer size lately
and it seems they are making a good comeback..
Fluke I tell ya,there was some really
Huge Fluke taken last May,especially during that
Big Tournament Up and Down The Coast.BIG!
And Has That Record Really Been Held That Long
50yrs-Time To Be Broken.... :D

I'm Looking For That Great TideRunner To Hit
My Lure One Day,and always hoping for that
Record Bass ;)

Thanks,,

[ 01-08-2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I agree with Fluke...some NICE catches. Big Blues in some numbers have been showing. Weakies were LARGE this year up and down the coast. Croakers are Definitly making a comeback. Hell this was a good year! Too hard to guess at that one. Good post, better question.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think the Striper Record only stands a shot in the Del Bay by a Live Liner in the Spring. I'm still waiting for that 40" in the back. I wouldn't mind getting a sliegh ride from a 19# weakie.

I know the guy who has the Tog record and I would like to see it stand a while. He's truly a good guy and very down to Earth. I know how proud he is of that fish.

As far as the other records go they would be nice but for me they would a consulation prize to the Striper and weakie record.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Like Steve said, I think the northern kingfish record stands the best chance to be broken. I don't know if we will ever see a 19# weakie again but I hope we have another run of tiderunners like we did last year. I will get my 10#'r this year!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
2 years ago in Jetty country late at night I caught a huge croaker in a big arse Bucktail Deceiver fleye while targeting stripers.

I thought it was a weakfish and so did my friend Matt. When we put some light on it we where suprised it was a monster croaker. I don't think it was 5.8 but it was definitely close to 5lbs.

Forgot to add - HIP would be proud - I let her swim

[ 01-08-2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Kingies, seabass, and croakers are the ones to watch-especially the croakers. I saw some croakers in the supermarket this fall that HAD to be well over 5# So I know the record is out there and I am sure the commercial guys have probably caught them over 6#! Didn't someone here on the Barn claim to have eaten the new record kingfish this pastt fall? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I caught a king in the back of Cape May this year that was pretty close to that record.Got it while I was chunkin clam bellies off a sod bank.The king will probably be next.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Logicly thinking... I would say that the next record to fall would be that much saught after 78.8 Striper. The average size fish seems to be getting bigger each year. The number of fish seems to still be increasing. I think there is an 80 lber. lurking in the murky waters of the DB just waiting for a noggin to find her. In the next 3 years is my bet.

Illogicly thinking... The weakfish record 18.8 or 19.2 may be taken. There aren't many around but what gets caught has pedagree. I saw a 14 lber taken at Higbees last spring. My uncle was a gill netter back in the day and had several in the 20-22lb range in the late 80's after the big runs had more or less disappeared. A rogue trout is out there! :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by eelball:
Not sure but I think Black drum on Light tackle would be easy to break. I remember checking it out last year.
eelball, yep forgot that one...
Black Drum 105lbs 1995

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am after the Sea Robin record of 3 lb 6 oz. Can't wait to take my trophy to the bait shop for the weigh in this year! Won't that look great over the mantle! Or maybe the spiny dogfish at 12lb 7 oz...Wait a minute...anyone know what the world record is for skates?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Rumor has it, this past spring, that a Rutger's Unniv. research vessel netted a striped bass between 80-90 lbs. in the Deleware Bay ?????????? Has anyone else hear of this? I've heard it from more than one source. :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

[ 01-09-2004, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: finaddict5 ]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I dont doubt it I believe the netters have broken that record 100's of times. I have heard stories of bass topping 120 caught in nets!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
A friend of mine holds the Black Drum 15lb.test World Record at 91lbs.He keeps dareing me to beat it.That is not too far fetched.Even if someone beats it in the Bay,I would still hold his fish in high regard because it was caught in the surf in N.Wildwood :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i ate the jersey blue claw record,it was 10.1/4 inches,i measured it only to find out later that it would of taken the record..i do have some great pictures of it and it was REAL good :D ,matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts