BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new custom JPR jiggingmaster 500 rod I had Paul build for me. It looks and feels great. I have paired it with an Accurate B2-870 from tackle direct that arrived at my door in 26 hours :eek:!!

Now I need to spool it up, Last summer, When I Fished with Capt. John on the hooked up, we had a fantastic day of jigging bluefin and I was able to borrow setup with spectra and 100m of marked p/e line, that I loved. so my questions are: what size of spectra should I use, what brand of pe line and what number, and what is the best way to connect the 2 lines for jigging. thanks, I cant wait to give it a try!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
FIRST......

Return that rod because Paul diednt finish my acid wrap yet and i am starting to worry and get very upset!!!

I would also tend to try the new Momoi diamond spectra!!

Heard some good stuff about it!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have on my accurate 665 #80 power pro with 100 meters of deep one marked line pe8 #80 and i use a uni to uni knot with a dab of super glue on knot

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Penn Reeler said:
I picked up my new custom JPR jiggingmaster 500 rod I had Paul build for me. It looks and feels great. I have paired it with an Accurate B2-870 from tackle direct that arrived at my door in 26 hours :eek:!!

Now I need to spool it up, Last summer, When I Fished with Capt. John on the hooked up, we had a fantastic day of jigging bluefin and I was able to borrow setup with spectra and 100m of marked p/e line, that I loved. so my questions are: what size of spectra should I use, what brand of pe line and what number, and what is the best way to connect the 2 lines for jigging. thanks, I cant wait to give it a try!
I highly recommed to get 665 two-speed instead of 870 two-speed if you want tuna jigging for several reasons.

You can use PE line straight, but it is very costly. I usually put 80 lbs Tuff line for backing and connect 100 meter of PE 8 (80 lbs) line.
Sunline, Varivas or YGK's Ultra Jigman are all good. Daiwa introduced PE line too and the lines cost much less than other Japanese PE lines.
While all Japanese PE lines change their color on every 10 meter, 360tackle (www.360tackle.com) sells Japanese PE line colored every 25 ft.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I would put 80lb hollow core spectra and with a loop to loop top shot of the p/e stuff. maybee a hundred yards of it. now if you want to strip it off you can just put the pe on a spool and splice a mono top shot into the hollow sore spectra and use the rod/reel combo for deep droping.
Paul makes the best rods you will be happy with them.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
80 lbs Hollow braided line is pretty expensive. :)
I put 300 yards of 100 lbs JB Hollow braided line on my John Baker 12 reel and it cost me almost $60.

While it gives problems sometimes to connect heavy mono and braided line by using uni to uni knot, you don't have any problem to connect braided lines to braided line with uni to unit knot and the profile is very low.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
i just purchased the 665 2 spd today and was curious which pe line do you prefer the ocean tackle or daiwa saltiga, i like the softer braids alot better.. would it be best to just load it up how they sell it in a one shot 300yard or purchase a whole spool and load it?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
marlinmatt said:
i just purchased the 665 2 spd today and was curious which pe line do you prefer the ocean tackle or daiwa saltiga, i like the softer braids alot better.. would it be best to just load it up how they sell it in a one shot 300yard or purchase a whole spool and load it?
100 yard spool is connected each other.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
paul when you read this i need my rod done! hehehe hurry up! i am running mad! :D :D help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys

ksong - why do you prefer the 665 over the 870?

sport - it will do no good to return my rod becouse my wrap has my finger prints all over it:) careful what you wish for... it was fun to know it was coming from paul but now that I have it and it is just sitting on my rod rack it is killing me!

followup question:

I could not find an earlier thread that talked about some type of tape? that could be used as a base on the reel to help prevent the spectra from slipping or is mono the best way?

thanks again

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Penn Reeler said:
ksong - why do you prefer the 665 over the 870?
line capacity, binding problem and strength of internal parts.

I was a little surprised 870 had pretty good line capacity for its size (2/0), but I'd rather have enough line capacity as you never know what you catch in Canyons. 665 can hold over 400 yards of 80 lbs braided line which is good enough for most tuna we catch here.

Though 870 is not bad, 665 has much less binding problem on high drag when moving lever drag or turning handle.

I have no doubt you can land a decent tuna with 870, but 665 can take more beating for extended time. I don't think the internal parts of the small 870 reel are not designed for big tuna which are frequent. I used the same size (2/0) Everol 6/12 and it gave me a problem after catching many tuna on the reel though the reel looks a small tank.

665 is not a big reel (3/0) and not heavy (26 oz).
You can get a satisfaction to catch a tuna with tiny 870, but 665 is much better reel to handle tuna.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
KSONG said:
100 yard spool is connected each other.

what are you saying? when you buy 300 yard and 600 yard shots how they sell them on the site, you get 3 rolls or 6 rolls that you have to connect? that sounds half assanine.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Very quiet on this site today.. not much going on matt.. This everyone is sleeping! hahah :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
just got up:eek:

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
See darn sleepers~ :mad:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
living the dream :p

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
marlinmatt said:
what are you saying? when you buy 300 yard and 600 yard shots how they sell them on the site, you get 3 rolls or 6 rolls that you have to connect? that sounds half assanine.
You can buy each roll. If you want only 100 meter, you can order one roll. But when I check the OTI's site, it seems they sell by three rolls. I am sure they can accomodate you if you call them.
There are other tackle shops you can get PE lines.

www.japantackle.com
www.anglers-proshop.com
Peace Token in Queens, NY (718-565-2376)
MM tackle in Bayonne, NJ (201-451-6272)

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
KSONG said:
You can buy each roll. If you want only 100 meter, you can order one roll. But when I check the OTI's site, it seems they sell by three rolls. I am sure they can accomodate you if you call them.
There are other tackle shops you can get PE lines.

www.japantackle.com
www.anglers-proshop.com
Peace Token in Queens, NY (718-565-2376)
MM tackle in Bayonne, NJ (201-451-6272)
i am sure i will have the new OTI PE line avail in 100yd spools and up to 1200yd boxes, very soon..

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
marlinmatt said:
the "rolls" come in 1200 yd spools all connected..i can cut you 100 yd spools off..as many as you need. 100-200 300..they will all be attached together, no need to join

1 - 20 of 55 Posts