BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pack rat and can't throw away my old, rusty looking plugs. I always planned on rigging them with new split rings and hooks, but after seeing the paint work on this board I have to ask if you guys have a procedure for preping and painting old plastic plugs?

·
Registered
791 Posts
sand down with atleast 400 or finer sand paper. just to scratch up the surface. i agree with billc use plastic krylon primer. after that you can paint with whatever you want. just epoxy over it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just what the rest have said, I had no problem with regular spray paint as long as i didn't mix types or brands when using different colors, stick with colors from the the same type of paint. Some types of paint act like paint remover on already dried previous layers and you wind up with a mess. You can ad detail and accents with permanent markers and paint pens, then coated with clear epoxy. Best part is, if your not happy with it, wait 24 hrs and try again.

Heres a couple Burples from a while back. The eyes were added after paint, but before epoxy just like you do on a wooden plug.
View attachment 23449

View attachment 23450

View attachment 23451

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Heres a couple Burples from a while back. The eyes were added after paint, but before epoxy just like you do on a wooden plug.
I'm not as artistic or patient as Brad. But I always have problems with the black coming off of mag darters. So I just take a permanent marker and color the plug. But then again, it's solid black anyhow.

·
Banned users
6,340 Posts
I paint lots of my plugs over with spray paint, the best paint I found so far was rustoleum, them if I really want to get fancy I springle glitter on them before the paint dries, then let them dry and then clear coat them with clear gloss some of them come out real nice, just let the paint dry good between coats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.