BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin folks,

I'm new to the barn and I've enjoyed reading through about a hundred old posts. But I have a question...

Several times people mention something along the lines of "I know we don't talk about spots, but.."

Is there a rule that you don't tell people where you're fishing, just give general ideas?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Ron doesn't want 7000+ barners meeting at 6 am in Delaware Bay.

Safe to stay vague when mentioning any certain area.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bob,
This is my fisrt fishing forum I've followed. I've never glanced at another one until I recently wanted to hone in on the sweet water. I went to another sight (which I'll keep nameless) to get some general info and found they encouraged posting of exact spots where they caught fish... some of which were my local dunk tanks :(
Now every member of that sight AND every "lurker" has more than a good reason to show up with at least a few buddies and block you out. It's not about being selfish, it's about respect.
When posting, don't think "spots" - think directional signs, counties, ...etc.
The Barn is a very well run operation, as I'm sure you've learned. And when you visit other forums you can appreciate it even more.
I still consider myself a newbie, so from one to another - welcome to the barn

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Offshore does not matter.
Nearshore does not matter.

But lets say I post that, "Had a great night at U area"

Notice I did not say, "At U in the the mouth of V at W tide using X and considering Y I caught Z.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by ReelyHooked:

Is there a rule that you don't tell people where you're fishing, just give general ideas?

I guess you can call it a "rule" if ya like. Let's say it's an unwritten rule that we encourage our members to follow.

The rule is not to burn "spots" by mentioning specific locations in a public forum. We've found that out through trial and error over the years. It's not such a big deal when you're on a small site with little traffic where everyone knows each other and lurkers are few and far between. On the other hand when you post specific locations on a site like ours with 8,000+ registered members and over a 1 1/2 million page views per month it can create a huge problem not just here on the board but out on the sodbanks, bridges, jetties, surf, etc as well.

Our board is here for the sharing of information. However, we need to be smart in how we share that information, otherwise we could do ourselves more harm then good.

When it comes to posting reports, if ya caught bass at Sandy Hook and in your report you mentioned your fish were caught in Monmouth county, that should be enough info to help others find their way. Of course theres always gonna be that person who only gets out once in a blue moon and wants to be led by the hand to the "spot" were all the fish are. Well, if you're that person, my suggestion would be to do what you're doing now by getting involved on the board. Become an active member of the community and before ya know it you'll have more friends and spots then you can shake a stick at

Welcome to the Bass Barn!!

[ 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I understand. Well, if I can ever get one of these boats in the water, maybe I can find a few of these silly fish we all seem to lose sleep over.

Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by ReelyHooked:
Sometimes if you ask the thread poster where exactly he'll tell you. ie: In the thread I started recently "Throwbacks in Whale Creek", I will tell you I was at the southern end of the creek.

Welcome to the Barn!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Welcome to the barn Reely

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
ReelyHooked,

Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard......

I cannot add too much that has been said here,
everyone just about covered the question...

But,
Take it from someone (me) that has been posting internet fishing reports for the last 5yrs now.
There is alot more information thats important
to add into a fishing report that will help out
our members and create some interesting reading
also...
Like,
Bait or Lure of choice,and how you fished it.
Conditions, what was the weather ? Winds,Air Temps & Water Temps along with Water Quality.
Just general observations,what was happening around you at the time,something of interest
that might of happened,something humerous etc..
Ask a guestion in your report about something
you pondered while fishing.Give your review of
maybe your equipment you were using,or a new
lure or fishing line you are trying out...
Add a tip about what catches or seems to work
for you.. All these things make up a great fishing report.

Good Luck During Your Adventures This Season,
And I Hope To Hear About Them Also....
Just No Exact Spots ;) :D

Take Care,,,

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Welcome to the barn. What Nightstrikes said. Also the most valuble stuff that I've learned here on the barn had nothing to do with the "where" but more the "how" The amount of info regarding tactics on this site is endless. Plus I find it rewarding to find my own spots.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
wow and to think you don't have to wait till the mid week paper comes out to get an ideal of where to head her at the start middle or end of any given week...

most news paper report are atr least a week old so where the fish today ?

so how things at the goose bar?
freedom

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Ain't no fish in the northern edge of Whale creek only the southern end around Stuart,In ,fl

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that was quite an array of replies, and I thank you all. I've been striper fishing for the better part of 35 years now, and I can have my good days and bad days like the rest of you.
As I said, One of these days I'll get one of these boats finished up and see if I can scrounge up a line sider.

thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts