BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,337 Posts
Haig haven't been yet,but am headin down Friday night:D My buddie RickStillCasting said there was bait all over last couple of nights but he didn't say what. Shout out to you,your in my families thoughts and prayres.

FC:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
Been out looking for the river herring as well...zippo.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MARCH MADNESS-Not what you think

"March Madness", so named by my girlfriend(MY BEST FRIEND:) ). When we first started dating I would tell her that I was going down to Mays Landing to caught Herring. "Her response was WHAT'S HER NAME?":mad: "No", I said, really, even thoe it's 1:00am. She had to come with me to see if I was telling the truth or I was crazy. She decided that I was "crazy"& telling the truth:D . "March Madness" is a horrid sickness, makes you do strange things at all hours of the day or night. Makes you make strange contrapsions to capture those tricky silverish candy for stripers & flounder. Know tell me, do you think I'm crazy:confused: standing around near a creek waiting for hours for herring to pass so as I can capture them with a net I've made. Most of the time I'll be there for hours on end, sometimes not even seeing one:mad: :p ;) . CRAZY HAIG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Haven't seen any yet, I think its still a little cold although the past couple warm days may get them going a little. I've seen them as early as February and sometimes they don't really show up until well into April, just depends on the season.
I typically avoid the river once everybody finds out they're around, fishermen used to be gentlemen but not anymore. A lot of the "herring chasers" I've run into the past few years have been nothing but rude and inconsiderate. I do enjoy jigging them up when there's not too many people around though, they are sporty little guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,048 Posts
Haig. I'm looking. I've heard some rumblings of a few, but I'm gonna wait. If something happens I'll e-mail you. I love standing there with the dipper almost as much as I do catching with rod and reel.
Leaving now for a plugging session:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
I have caught herring with an ultra-light rod and reel in February when fishing the full or new moons in fresh water creeks that feed our tidal rivers. Fishing with rod and reel on today's full moon will probably be unproductive since the water will be cloudy from this weeks rain. Possibly the dippers/netters will get some. Hopefully, herring fishing will be good on the full moon March 21.

The best time to start fishing these creeks for herring is an hour after peak high tide. The best source for information will be the tackle shops where you want to fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,269 Posts
Maybe the next moon will see the regulars gather...

Unfortunatly, I never pulled my pen from last year and have some nasty cleanup work to do before we start humping buckets... first warm day in the next week will have me in grundens with the powerwasher....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fmTuna said:
Maybe the next moon will see the regulars gather...

Unfortunatly, I never pulled my pen from last year and have some nasty cleanup work to do before we start humping buckets... first warm day in the next week will have me in grundens with the powerwasher....
WOW:eek: :eek: , all that time in the water. Man you got alot of power washing:eek: to do. Good Luck:) . I'll definately be there on the full moon, likely a day before & after & a few days after that(March Madness:D :p ). Haig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eelball!!!

eelball said:
Haig. I'm looking. I've heard some rumblings of a few, but I'm gonna wait. If something happens I'll e-mail you. I love standing there with the dipper almost as much as I do catching with rod and reel.
Leaving now for a plugging session:D
Yeh, me too;) . There's something about the challange in caughting them when there slithering by your net:p & the pounding :eek: when they hit the back of the net thats just plain cool(Fun):D . If I see any when I'm down there I'll call you. Haig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very few Gentleman left

IronSpirit said:
Haven't seen any yet, I think its still a little cold although the past couple warm days may get them going a little. I've seen them as early as February and sometimes they don't really show up until well into April, just depends on the season.
I typically avoid the river once everybody finds out they're around, fishermen used to be gentlemen but not anymore. A lot of the "herring chasers" I've run into the past few years have been nothing but rude and inconsiderate. I do enjoy jigging them up when there's not too many people around though, they are sporty little guys.
When I first started to catch Herring everyone there was very nice & helpfull:) . Not like that any more, sad to say:( . IS thats why I go early, to avoid those types of people.Catch my limit and get out of Dodge:D :D . Haig
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top