BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new Penn Reels catalog? Do you know where I can get one. My local tackle store has one but they won't hand any out. I thumbed through some pages and it was very impressive. Lots of new reels, rods and even terminal tackle that I had never seen before. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The new stuff is all made in China. The new owner of Penn also owns Master. I've seen some of the new reels and they are Pretty cheap Chinese stuff with Penn's name on em'.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yes i got a catalog from a friend ,when i bought new tica 9000 sf 5.2ratio ...some reels look cheap but the history of penn is interesting. will be a good book to read. you really need to deal with a good supplier. thats how i got mine ..spend spend spend

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mr. Tinkertrain,

Allow me to set the record straight regarding your comments on PENN as you apparently have not been well informed as to the entire company makeup. You are only partially correct making the statement that the owner of PENN also owns Master Tackle. There is another owner, and he also owns another tackle company. Perhaps you have heard of Sea Striker, parent company of Billfisher and a well known rod company, STAR ROds. Both Owners, regardless of the position of their other companies, are commited to not only maintaining, but improving upon the quality of PENN products. There is no attempt to cheapen the company as you suggest, and in my opinion, this is an unfounded dig.

As for the new reels you seen, are you referring to the Captiva? Yes they are imported, but for about $50 retail, would you rather have a PENN with 11 Ball bearings or an Okuma or Tika for less. Keep in mind that the inexpensive PENN has been upgraded with regards to materials versus the competing reels.

As for the reasons to have an inexpensive reel (PENN has had similar products on the market for years) There will always be a demand for quality as there will always be a demand for inexpensive product, which is often a larger audience. If PENN decides to offer a product to compete in a growing market segment that is not centered on the origin of the reel, but only that it looks good, has lots of BB and functions, is there any reason not to offer a product at this price point? How can this product, at this price point, be confused with more expensive, quality-oriented products. I don't see how a reel at $50 can be mistakenly compared to a reel at $130. Two different consumers looking for two different reasons buying these reels. And to reiterate, what about the fact that we upgrade components, is this not testament to Penn's commitment to quality. Relative quality at any price point.

If you want higher quality products, they are available. PLease check out the PENN SLAMMER spinning reels. In a direct comparison with a primary competitor, our $130 reel has more features and better materials than their $150 product, and for a more reasonable comparison, try our $130 reel versus their $200+ model.

And before anyone can spout that PENN is moving overseas, we have just upgraded our Philadelphia facility, moving a bunch of CNC machines into the basement. Penn is not going anywhere.

And one more thing, all of our "New Stuff" is not made in China. There is a 113HN Baja SPecial that is being readied for launch and this is made right here in Philly, so I am not sure where you informantion is coming from, but may want to consider new sources, becasue it is not accurate.

Brent

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I feel an overwhelming need to jump in here! How anyone can even consider that Penn would pull out of the US is just not in tune with the Penn Profile and their place in the Market. There is much pride in the fact that we Americans can own quality equipment made here in America......Philadelphia to be exact, the true birthplace of this great nation!

Penn has made some stuff overseas for years. Ever use a 100 series spinner from Penn? take a close look at the reel seat, Made in Japan. I will level with you, I bought a few of these YEARS ago when they first came out. I was young and did not have any $$ but I wanted a Penn. I have these reels today! I also owned some other stuff like Mitchels, Diawas and the like, almost all have been rendered to junk while my original 100 series spinning reels still take it to the fish in both the salt and sweet water! Oh, and I have 2 Graphite spinning reels a 220 and a 230. I was told that these were absolute dogs, (by Penn employees no less) and I must admit that these are 2 of my favorite and most abused reels.

In these times of competition from the low overhead nations, Penn still stands as a product of quality and durability with an iron clad reputation for ease of repair and for company commitment to continually carrying parts for what appears to be forever.

If you want junk, go buy that low grade foreign stuff. But if you want a quality product and more importantly, know the difference, then buy a Penn.

Oh and by the way, if you are afraid to buy a "foreign" Penn just look at the reel seat before you plunk down your $$. It states clearly where the reel is made.

All that and I don't even work for Penn!

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Thank you Brent.

Now what you need to do is save that right-up it will come in handy as this seems to come up frequently.

I'm a Penn only guy, I'm anal, Just picked up a 5600L Live liner I can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well Brent,
Let me just straighten a couple of things out. Fist, I'm knocking Penn reels. Penn is and has been the number one selling reel in my shop for the last forty eight years. I love and use some Penn reels myself. Also, I have repaired and serviced about evey Penn reel ever made from the 722 to the 80STW, so you would ever like to compare brainpans about technical Penn reel service, repair, or quality I would be happy to oblige. I don't really have a problem with Penn making cheaper reels to compete with that market. It's in demand so why shouldn't they get their piece of it. If someone pays twenty five bucks for a reel and it lasts them a couple of seasons, I think that expected. My concern is with the current products that have made them a fixture in the industry for all these years. For example. I have a 310GTI that I'm repairing for a customer. When I called to place a parts order I was told that this part is no longer made. The 310 GTI is probably in the top three most popular party and charter boat reels out there and is still in production. Now Brent, Keeping in mind that this guy is outfitted with about thirty Penn GTI's and I do this same repair on his reels about two dozen times a season, What do I tell him?
Oh yeah, Bawugna, the 100 series is made in China, not Japan. And it's still a very good reel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts