BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Its softer and more limp = more wind knots.....my 2cents..

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Its softer and more limp = more wind knots.....my 2cents..
I"ve been using P.P. for the past 8 yrs and I have to say it definitely comes with a learning curve. The biggest cause of wind knots are caused by two factors. 1. Braid not wound tight enough initially on the reel. 2 not closing the bail by hand. What I have learned is after a fishing session when you did not catch a fish it's a good Idea to tie your terminal line end to a snap swivel attach it to a fence and pull the braid off the spool and re-reel the line back on tight. I do this with my plugging reels often and never have. Problems with wind knots anymore. I also now never close the bail with the reel handle always by hand.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
as a long time user and fan of pp i love the super slick 8 :thumbsup:

thin,limp and slick as the bejeebers!
not quite up to saltiga braid but it's 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have tried every braid on the market at one time or another and can't say that one line is segnificantly better then another. When I hear guys bad mouth a prodict I usually just blow it off. And I will tell you why.

Many times on a slow day fishing and line topics come up I do a little experiment.
I will tell guys one reel is loaded with PP and another with lets say Sufix. I tell them to cast both and tell me which is better.
If the guy dislikes PP he will always say that Sufix "felt better" or "cast further"or "is softer". If he dislikes Sufix its the opposite.

Well guess what! Both spools are filled with PP... The mind, it's a wonderful thing to mess with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 50/50 split of jerry brown 40lb hollow core and suffix 832 on all of my spinning reels save one. I put the 10lb super slick 8 on a daiwa fuego 2500A about a month ago and I like it alot, and this is coming from someone that thinks standard power pro is absolute garbage. One thing about the super slick 8, rigging is a little different. I use a tri shear for all my rigging, and the super slick just doesn't cut clean with it. I keep a folding utility knife on me when using it, because it's the only thing I've got that cuts it clean. It has a lower pic count than 832, and the carriers look wiry when you fray the line out. It's definately a different product from any other braid I've tried. It seems to be wearing well, and I've had no issues at all with it. And wind knots are 100% operator error, and there has never, ever, in the history of braided spectra, been a line that could be held responsible for a wind knot.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
:thumbsup:
I have a 50/50 split of jerry brown 40lb hollow core and suffix 832 on all of my spinning reels save one. I put the 10lb super slick 8 on a daiwa fuego 2500A about a month ago and I like it alot, and this is coming from someone that thinks standard power pro is absolute garbage. One thing about the super slick 8, rigging is a little different. I use a tri shear for all my rigging, and the super slick just doesn't cut clean with it. I keep a folding utility knife on me when using it, because it's the only thing I've got that cuts it clean. It has a lower pic count than 832, and the carriers look wiry when you fray the line out. It's definately a different product from any other braid I've tried. It seems to be wearing well, and I've had no issues at all with it. And wind knots are 100% operator error, and there has never, ever, in the history of braided spectra, been a line that could be held responsible for a wind knot.
:thumbsup: I agree.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i've been using power pro for awhile and i rarely , i mean rarely get wind knots, and thats throwing alot of metal for blues and fishing in general. i believe its also how you fish, there is a skill involved here ya know. i fished with many of ppl who cant fish worth a ****, and blame it on gear. i think power pro is the best i ever used and wont change . but im willing to give some advice to anyone who wants it!

·
Registered
374 Posts
You want my opinion, or you just wanna attack me?
I dont like Power pro.I've had to many mystery break offs. I use Suffix 832

Ha ha ha-I dig the suffix-tighter braid-fit more on the spool-40 works real nice for me lol

And plus from what magic cleft tells me, I think If I casted with it real hard my plugs might just keep going and going and going and going-until I'm out 50$ for line And 22$ for the wood-Thatd be negative 72$!!!!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I have used pp on my reels for years. I never had a problem on a spinning reel but I experienced quite a few with my conventional. I went through 2 spools in 2 seasons and then switched to 832 and I definitely felt that it was better for the penn mag 525 that I use. I then tried the new pp slick 8 and I like it even better. It seems to be smoother and more limp. I love the way it casts. I have to admit that my results are also better because of the time I have spent casting. I get better each year so my results may be a result of better technique and confidence to load the rod fully when casting.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I just started with the PP hollow core. I can't say it's the best thing I ever used because I only got one trip in before the Christmas week got in the way. It casts great and feels good so I'll have to pass judgement later in the year.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
i have the same power pro on 2 reels for over 3 yrs. never have problems losing fish or anything close. i have used same reel flounder fishin all summer,striper in spring,and striper in fall. never ever lost a fish due to breakage or line wear.... and now that i officialy jinxed myself i will respool this spring. oh also used on wreck trips with no problems.lol.i can spend 15 dollars on pp or close to thirty on some of the others.....imo. you use it u get used to it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
i have the same power pro on 2 reels for over 3 yrs. never have problems losing fish or anything close. i have used same reel flounder fishin all summer,striper in spring,and striper in fall. never ever lost a fish due to breakage or line wear.... and now that i officialy jinxed myself i will respool this spring. oh also used on wreck trips with no problems.lol.i can spend 15 dollars on pp or close to thirty on some of the others.....imo. you use it u get used to it.
When you fish 3 times a year you should get ummmm, hmmmm, 15 years before you need to respool....:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts