BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEP Adding New Reef Site Outside of Townsends Inlet
February 6, 2006
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection announced it would build a new reef site off the coast of Cape May County to enhance its nationally recognized network of 15 artificial reefs while strengthening marine resources, improving recreational opportunities and boosting the state's economy. Recently approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, construction of the reef, to be situated approximately 3.8 nautical miles southeast of Townsends Inlet in Cape May County, will be funded almost entirely through private donations. Some 800 reef-ball habitats are scheduled for deployment this summer on the Townsends Inlet reef site.

The reef site measures slightly more than one-half square mile with a depth between 49 feet and 66 feet. Its inshore portion will be used as a drift fishing area; the offshore portion will be reserved for vessels to accommodate diving. The new reef will become part of the state's Artificial Reef Program, administered by the DEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife.

Artificial reefs play a key role in supporting New Jersey's marine fishing and diving industries, and contribute more than $50 million to the state's economy every year. These reefs also benefit the environment by providing new habitat for marine life. In fact, one out of every five fish reeled in by recreational anglers in New Jersey's salt waters during 2000 was caught on a reef site.

Coordinates for the Townsends Inlet Reef are:

Corner Latitude Longitude
NE 39o 06.70 74o 36.00
NW 39o 06.70 74o 37.50
SE 39o 06.25 74o 36.00
SW 39o 06.25 74o 37.50

Fishing and diving clubs throughout New Jersey provide financial assistance to make scheduled reef-material deployment a reality. Divers, anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts interested in helping to enhance fishing grounds in the Garden State are encouraged to learn about the DEP's Adopt-A-Reef Program. For more information on the Artificial Reef Program, visit www.njfishandwildlife.com/artreef.htm. Or call the Artificial Reef Program at 609-748-2020 or write to the Division of Fish and Wildlife at P.O. Box 418, Port Republic, NJ 08241, Attn: Reef Adoption Program.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
When are they going to build it / month ??

[ 02-07-2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
The reef site measures slightly more than one-half square mile with a depth between 49 feet and 66 feet. Its inshore portion will be used as a drift fishing area; the offshore portion will be reserved for vessels to accommodate diving. The new reef will become part of the state's Artificial Reef Program, administered by the DEP's Division of Fish and Wildlife.
[/QB]
After reading this I am assuming that some areas of this new reef are going to be off limits to fishing. How do you go about inforcing a no fishing zone in the middle of the ocean?

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I like that it's only 3.8 miles off. Good for us smaller boat guys. We need more of em

·
Registered
426 Posts
There is already 2 boats and a bunch of pipe castings,all since last Aug.

·
Registered
497 Posts
can you say Tog? Smellinfishy and I were just talking about this on the phone. Looks like it's a little south of the sea isle lump, should be fun.

Whats up Dirt!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
Started Dec 2005

·
Registered
5,270 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by High Wire:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
Started Dec 2005 </font>[/QUOTE]Awesome, thanks man

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The reef starts populating in a few weeks but it takes 2-3 years to produce serious fishing. The peak is usually 7 years at which time it starts to sink. That's probably why more ships, reef balls and other materials are added over time. We sure do need more reefs, so keep donating to the Reef Fund on this site.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Originally posted by capt.alc111:
There is already 2 boats and a bunch of pipe castings,all since last Aug.
Capt Al, What part of the reef did they drop the pipe castings? The reef just keeps gettin better and better.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sanibel,was given a gps grid chart that showed the drift area in nw corner.1000 tons of pipe castings were supposed to be dumped there,with another 1000 tons coming.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks Capt. Al. See you out there when the weather warms.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
SF, How do you like the Triton. I've seen you out around me when we've been chasing birds in the fall. Great looking boat. BTW, so you fish around Sanibel much?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Aimless, Hello again.

The Triton is a truly awesome boat. Absolutely no issues with it at all. The Yamaha 4 Strokes were also a great choice, no problems and great gas mileage, whisper quiet and best of all no burning oil. I have no complaints about the boat after 2 full seasons of use. I spent a full year researching and testing boats and I am very pleased with my decision. It is a stable boat with high sides to keep the kids in and great support when leaning over the side fighting fish. I have had 8 people fishing on the boat comfortably. All of the workmanship on the boat is top notch - not one loose fitting/screw etc after two years of solid use. I have had it well offshore in cresting 6+ footers and was comfortable. The boat is fast, certainly faster than it needs to be. The first season I had the boat I made a few WOT trips on flat seas to Cape May and was there in less time than I care to admit. I have toned it down this season but still open it up when I am late for dinner. I would recommend the boat to anyone, not the least expensive boat on the water but worth every penny. I could ramble on about the boat for hours.

After two years I have finally come up with a name that I like. If all goes as planned ?Blue Serenity? will be named and in the water May 1st at MinMar Marina.

Sanibel, Yes ? I fish there as often as possible, usually twice a year although I skipped 2004 when I purchased the boat ? something had to give. I have been staying at the same place at the end of West Gulf Drive for over 10 years. It is right on the beach about ¼ mile from a place they call ?The Rocks?. Awesome Snook fishing. I usually drive so I bring along my Kayak. I have fished in Pine Island Sound and Ding Darling for redfish and often walk the beach sight casting for Snook. The first time I brought my son down we fished on the public dock and he caught a huge Grouper that took him 15 minutes to bring in, he was 8 and he drew a crowd. I have to admit though each time I go down there I catch something I just cannot identify ? last September year it was ladyfish. I was told by our fellow Barn members they are great bait, I will find out in mid April this year (6 weeks ? I can?t wait) when I return for a weeks vacation. Fishing is not everything though, our house is full of shells. When I am not fishing my wife and I spend hours upon hours shelling ? great way to clear you head.

Thanks again for the numbers of the first Tug the dropped on TI Reef, your numbers were right on. I found it on the first pass. Hopefully I will see you out there drifting for Flounder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts