BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoyed casting from the beach this fall and even caught some fish with a few keepers in the mix. I am looking for a new reel and I am thinking about a Penn Conquer CRQ-5000. I like the weight at 14.6 oz and the gear ratio. I will put 20lb braid on the reel and match it to a 7' rod. I am going to use it mostly for throwing lures. Looking to spend around $200 for a reel. My second choice is the Shimano Spheros SP5000 wich is a little heavier. Anyone know about the 2 reels or any other suggestions
THX

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have a Conquer and a Spheros, personally I like the Conquer a lot better.The Battle ,that Bucket mentioned is also a good choice.I think it only ran me about 80 or 90 bucks.If your going to get serious about plugging from the beach ,you might want to get a bigger rod.A 7 footer is a little short for the surf.Most guys use a 9 footer for NJ beaches ,I prefer a 10 footer.For the 200 bucks you mentioned,you could get a Tica ,or Tsunami air wave rod and a Penn Battle,great combo for the money.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Relatively happy with my spheros... I wouldn't want to dunk it though. I agree with the above, I'd suggest no less than an 8' rod...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
give some consideration to a penn battle 4000.
great drag,fast retrieve,built like a tank.
a little over a $100
What he said. Bought one (I think it is the 6000) for my large plugging rod this fall and gave it a workout in November. Performed very well:thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I always had luck with penn reels and had some problems with the Shimanos though both companies have good service whenever I needed a part. I used a 7' rod this fall and had no problems casting a plug or metal and most of the time I would hook a fish pretty close to the wash. With a 7' rod and a 12-14oz reel I would be able to cast all night without my arms falling off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts