BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out last nigh with my new 10 weight Spey Rod, was able to land 4 blues and 2 stripers. Outgoing tide Ocean City sod banks, using a pink and white clouser.
GOOD FISHING >))))"> *****
SPANISH FLY.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hey Spanish "new member". Is this the old Spanish fly?? If not welcome, If so, welcome back.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Spainish, you are the first spey fisherman I have heard on the board. Never tried one, but they look interesting. A couple of guys have mentioned they would be interested in trying one. How are you doing casting with it, or are you a long time spey rod user?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
JimDE (I think he infrequently posts on the Barn) is an avid spey/2-hand caster as well.

There can only be one Spanish Fly on the Barn :D
. Judging from the email and the occupation it looks like you are the true one! Welcome back Alfredo!!

When did you get into spey fishing? Do you actually spey fish from the sod banks, or are you just 2-hand casting? I'd think it would be tough to truely spey cast without wading.

[ 05-18-2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I used one once up on Cape Cod with guide Randy Jones (The Yankee Angler) .

They are not hard to learn to cast at all. It took me about 15 mins to be tossing some serious line and it was win#$ that day.

My brother Kevin picked it up right away also and he doesnt fly fish often (although he is a good single handed caster).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes this is Alfredo the old Spanish Fly :D , I recently started spey casting; At first, trying to control a fourteen foot rod can be frustrating. I was always interested in spey casting for stripers and blues. There is a growing number of saltwater anglers who ere finding the extra length of these rods very helpful for casting in stong winds or for getting the fly out over the surf. The simplest and most known of the spey cast is the roll cast I also use the single spey and the double spey cast. I found the main advantage of spey casting is that you can keep your line in the water longer and with every cast your fly is presented to fish no false casting.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hey Alfredo. Good to hear from you again. Was wondering what happened. Glad you are still around. Hope to see you when I get back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts