BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so far i have the basics...kayak, paddle, lifevest, waterproof phone case..built in rod holder...cooler with bugee straps to hold it in place...what else should i have? not really looking into electronics just yet..like i said, just getting started.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
If you don't like the leash idea for rods. Buy the pool noodles, cut down to size, cut slit lengthwise, zip tie on rod above grip.

A knife of some sort, one with a blunt tip is the best for a safety style knife. Attach it to your vest.

I carry the snap stick style glow sticks in vest too. Way of signaling if I needed to or as a general light.

Figure on general skin coverup while in the sun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Waterbugs kayak rescue ladder is cheap insurance. Practice self rescue for when you go in! Like others have said...leash everything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dan, that Yeti cooler is sexy as hell! Also a good idea to plan what you're going to throw you keepers in if they don't fit in the cooler. I've heard people using those hot/cold bags from the supermarkets and I'm planning on using an insulated bag cooler thing I picked up this winter.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I use a length of 250lb mono for keeping bigger fish on. Loop crimped on one end and a hook on the other. Run the loop through the mouth and gill, run the hook through the loop, and attach to the boat. Leave the fish in the water.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I use a length of 250lb mono for keeping bigger fish on. Loop crimped on one end and a hook on the other. Run the loop through the mouth and gill, run the hook through the loop, and attach to the boat. Leave the fish in the water.
250lb line, hook and large live bait... are you live-lining for a bull shark? :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some states require you to carry a PFD, anchor with rope, bailing device, flairs in coastal waters, a whistle or some kind of sound producing device and some kind of light.
Thankfully I had most of these when I was checked in North Carolina. I didn't have a bailing device but the Marine Police said my Gulp bait container qualified. So I didn't get a ticket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is what New Jersey Requires ---- every thing else is up to you

Sailboats and Manually Propelled Vessels
  • Personal Flotation Devices: Vessels less than 16 feet in length, and all canoes and kayaks, regardless of length, must carry one Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard approved personal flotation device for each person on board. They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer. Vessels 16 feet and over, except canoes and kayaks, must have one Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved wearable device for each person aboard, plus at least one Type IV throwable device.The throwable device must be kept where it is immediately available. Wearable devices must be of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
  • Navigation Lights: All vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during times of restricted visibility. In inland and international waters, sailing vessels under sail alone shall exhibit navigation lights. The tri-colored lantern and the all-round green and red lights should never be used together. A sailing vessel of less than 23 feet (7 meters) in length shall, if practicable, exhibit those lights prescribed, or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision. A vessel under oars may display those lights prescribed for sailing vessels or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
  • Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel of less than 39.4' (12 meters) is not required to carry a whistle or bell, but must be able to provide some other means of making an efficient sound signal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could someone give me advice on securing a Hobie revolution 13 to the top of my SUV. I have factory roof racks with crossbars. My plan was to pad the factory cross bars and tie the kayak directly to them. My concern is the crossbars are only about 3ft apart. This seems a little close with the kayak being a little over 13ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
If they are well made like most of the newer SUV's you will be Ok with a 36 inch spread. You can always add a bow and stern tie down for highway use. I have the straps at the shop you need don't ever buy straps with hooks on the end.
Could someone give me advice on securing a Hobie revolution 13 to the top of my SUV. I have factory roof racks with crossbars. My plan was to pad the factory cross bars and tie the kayak directly to them. My concern is the crossbars are only about 3ft apart. This seems a little close with the kayak being a little over 13ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Best advice...get a trailer! :) I converted an 8' landscaping trailer by attaching supports to hold the ramp even with the bed, then attached a light bar to the back edge. Almost no effort to load it, and I have a box to hold all the gear. I put plywood on the deck to cover the steel mesh, and pipe insulation zip-tied to the side rails to protect the yak. I can carry two if needed. I'll post a few pics when I can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks catspaw that thought has crossed my mind. We are in the middle of moving so ill have to just deal with the roof racks for now. Pleading my case for the kayak was a stretch. Id like to see what you did with that trailer, sounds exactly like what i was thinking about. Did you look into used waverunner trailers at all? I usually take a couple trips a year up to Oneida lake and lake Ontario for salmon, trout and walleye so i will definitely want a trailer that could fit two for that ride.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Check Yakima site. They make saddles and roller set ups for roof racks. Secure it well using straps, also include a strap off the front and rear of kayak to bumper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you guys and girls think about the gear tracks? Any suggestions on track and rod holder brands? i want to start trolling for bass ASAP!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
The less gadgets you add the better. A scottys powerlock rod holder is the best for trolling or for carrying a second rod out of the way. Start out slow with drilling holes. Most guys after a year wish they didn't mount all the stuff because they find they don't realy use it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts